Got another trailer full today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
On my way home found some more wood the power company had cut down. Went home got the trailer and scored a 5 by 8 trailer full of Maple. I think it's silver maple, I will try to post some pics later. Cause I know it didn't happen with out the pics to prove it...

Scott

How full?
What's the trailer look like?
All cut to length?
Man;;;We need pictures LOL :lol:

Scoooter, I'd bet you definitely know that these guys want some pictures. :lol:

Glad you found some good wood.

Sorry I haven't posted pictures... The wife left the camera over at the in-laws house and I don't feel the need to go back over there any time soon to retrieve it :) It was all bucked to about 18" except one piece that was like 30" no clue why they left one piece but I loaded it up with everything else. If I have no plans on using this wood next winter can it stay in the round off the ground until the fall without rotting?

Scott

I wished it looked like this though :)

logtruck300.jpg

Scoooter said:
Sorry I haven't posted pictures... The wife left the camera over at the in-laws house and I don't feel the need to go back over there any time soon to retrieve it :) It was all bucked to about 18" except one piece that was like 30" no clue why they left one piece but I loaded it up with everything else. If I have no plans on using this wood next winter can it stay in the round off the ground until the fall without rotting?Scott[
Best to get it split. It won't do much drying in the round. AND we still want pictures! Use your cell phone.

Yes it will be fine in the round off of the ground with out splitting until this fall.

Like oldspark stated, that wood will keep a long time without rotting so long as it is up off the ground.

Backwoods Savage said:
Like oldspark stated, that wood will keep a long time without rotting so long as it is up off the ground.
Ditto on what oldspark and Backwoods said...get it up off of the ground. I've been working on some red oak I scored out of a cemetery and yesterday evening as I was splitting some of it I picked up a round that had been laying on the ground...there were termites between it and the ground. This was an old tree that had been standing dead for about a year and I feel pretty sure the termites were in it when it took it's first and last ride to my house but that junction point between the ground and the wood was definitely where they gravitated to.

Of course if you can go ahead and get it split so much the better! ;)

Ed

Sorry, I should have just answered the question I guess. And yes I agree it will be fine, won't rot.....just saying it will dry better if split.

It wont rot, but it wont dry at all until split. I had rounds sitting for a full year, still wet and green on the inside! no drying happened.

Jeezo it doesn't rot overnight.
I still have some pine logs from Hurricane Bob in the woods in front of my house.
No good for firewood, but the termites seem to still like them.

billb3 said:
Jeezo it doesn't rot overnight.
I still have some pine logs from Hurricane Bob in the woods in front of my house.
No good for firewood, but the termites seem to still like them.

And we have some standing that the woodpeckers are enjoying. Lots of insects like it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.