1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Got 'er done despite..........

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Shari, Apr 8, 2013.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice splitters :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Shari, I knew you would not take offense. We've discussed this before and also discussed your splitter. I know of some of your circumstances and know some of the struggles you go through and have gone through. I have the utmost respect for you.
  3. Whitepine2

Whitepine2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ma
    Mother said there would be days like this but not so many in a row! Try putting some antifreeze in the tire's
    just take out the valve and put in enough to cover the inside turn tire around after putting in air in. This works well
    with tubeless tires will put an end to reairing.I have done this for years it will even stop sidewall leaks don't know why but it works used it on boat trailers,wheelbarrows,roto tillers small tractors ect. The only thing that could make it not work is the new antifreeze may still work but worked with old
    Whitepine2
  4. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Good thought, WhitePine. I was even thinking of Green Slime at least for the two wagon tires.

This week is turning into a string of "Momma Said There'd Be Days Like This":

At 9:30 last night I realized our sump pump was acting up. Continuous rain here, 1-1/2"+ per day here since Sunday. Pump was running but wouldn't shut off. There's another long story on how I replaced the pump last night but the short version is we didn't have the exact parts needed to install our old/spare pump so I went into Mrs. McGyver mode and, as they say "Got 'er done!" in some sort of fashion. We dumped $180 at the hardware store for a new pump & fittings. There's always a sunny side: I bailed a bit - but we didn't flood.

More rain today, tonight & tomorrow. Rivers are flooding, etc.

No word on the rest of the wood. It just won't stop raining.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Don't know if I ever said this Shari . . . but women like you and my wife are inspiring . . . not because I am amazed of the things that you do . . . I am not so old that I think in term of "men's work" and "women's work" . . . but rather because I know just a bit of what you and your husband have been through and I have just a small inkling of the work you do to keep things going . . . and it is truly inspiring.

Keep the faith!
    PapaDave likes this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Shari, we have the same situation with the rain and now it keeps trying to turn to snow. Looking at the forecast through next Wednesday it is rain or snow every day except Saturday. Nuts...
  7. Whitepine2

Whitepine2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ma
    . I was even thinking of Green Slime at least for the two wagon tires.

Be careful some of the slime is very explosive I don't know which one's but a friend that lives in Alaska lost his friend
    a welder when a tire exploded an killed him just be careful. The old antifreeze trick works and is safe.
    Whitepine2
  8. melissa71

melissa71 New Member

Loc:
    Chicagoland
    Shari, I hope your days get better and easier. I've had lots of days like that, too. It can be aggravating, but as long as you can laugh at it, it's bearable. :)
  9. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I think we have some antifreeze hidden in the garage somewhere so I am willing to give that a try before the green slime.

The rims on the wagon are different: They are like two dinner plates with the bottoms of each plate touching each other and then they are bolted to each other. It is the 'jumbo wagon' at this link: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=wagon
  10. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    How do you get all that. Free wood, thanks... Or was that a joke...
  11. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I'm not replying to Defiant's post but 99% of the wood I currently have in stock was 'free'. I scrounge wood where ever I can get it: Craig's List, municipal recycling center, if I see a stack of wood from a tree that was just cut down I've been known to stop in and offer to remove the wood for free, etc.
    milleo likes this.
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL

That is a split rim. Use a tube and move on to better things.;)
  13. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jags. We've been rained out for just over a week so haven't gotten back to do anything. All I can say is the air I put in the rider and wagon tires has 'evaporated' over this past week. :(
  14. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    My local tire guy will put a tube in a small tractor tire for about $10.A few bucks spent might save you a ton of frustration. This whole "free" firewood thing is quite a bit of work even when all the tools are in working order. Try to eliminate as many of the forces against you as possible.
    Applesister likes this.
  15. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    That was the conclusion I FINALLY came to when I put the slime in.
    My long term time is more important than the few one shot bucks it took to do it.
    I'm much happier now.:cool:
  16. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Shari Im with you girl on all said. Flat tires and dead batteries and bad gas and no money. I always tell myself if I lived in an apartment and only had a computer or TV I would feel like I was in prison. Commit suicide.
    Id rather have all my challenges and problems than live in confinement.
    As my older brother says, " Bring it on..."

If you try radiator coolant in the tires let me know what happens. Thats a new one on me.
  17. Whitepine2

Whitepine2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ma
    Jags is right on split rim tube it. You might find welded rims will leak as well as split ones. I worked for a friend of mine
    he was a dealer Cub,Kobota and several other too numerous to name but big dealer and Cub would be forever have
    flat tires new out of the crate,welded rims they suck always tubing them. Now Kobota never had a bad one until cousin
    got one of the new BX's don't you know new tractor flat front tire so gave it the antifreeze treatment and still good for 2 years. This is the only one I know of that went flat ma-be made in USA???? Go figure.

Whitepine2