Got me some ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Got some more ash Friday , used the tractor to skid most of it . I have a grapple on the front that helps a ton as well .

I’ve been cutting dead ash here in mid Michigan probably close to 10 years . Still a lot standing or leaning that’s good solid wood .
Yesterday we had a little wood splitting get together with the family . It was a good time , chilly but no wind . Tally was almost 2 full cords .

1CDF30E9-ACDB-4C95-BB57-87A8FE933907.jpeg 5E11114D-43C0-4DF4-9008-29B10B9BF8C1.jpeg FD74FA1F-B281-4E8B-A07C-8D83D4834547.jpeg

That snow/wood chip mix is great! That splitting get together must have been a good time!

Reactions: D8Chumley
That's what my driveway looks like right now. It's going to be a hot mess when all the snow melts!

I love a good splitting get together. We do it a lot in the milder weather. Fire pit, beers, more beers, and a couple of Fiskars and we get after it.

Who doesn't love a good piece of ash? It's one of my favorite wood species.

Reactions: MoDoug
One thing about ash that a lot of people don't realize, is that ash is still ash before and after it's burned!

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
I have been reading about ash and the emerald ash borer for years on this forum. They were all up in Yankeeland.
I didn't know we even had ash here in the NC mountains.
Just a year ago I found out we did have ash, and most of the trees are dead and ready to burn.
I have whacked 2 ash trees in the past year and I like it for firewood. Might get another one this summer.

Reactions: logfarmer
Wishlist what type of splitter is that in the picture?

Wishlist what type of splitter is that in the picture?

It’s a Timberwolf T-5 . Few years back I finally wore out the Husky splitter . I’m a maple producer and need 4-5 cords of small split wood for the evaporator every year . Wanted a 4 way .
I was shocked at some of the prices for the “ big “ commercial splitters . Found this splitter used and got a deal that I couldn’t pass up . When the family does a splitting party I get the logs bucked up and we can put wood thru the Timberwolf real quick !

I have to admit it gets kinda boring just cutting ash all the time .
Farmer friend down the road cleared out some fence rows last fall and I got a bunch of oak , hickory , and sugar maple . All green. I got some splitting done before winter and I remember you sure can tell that oak by the smell .

you sure can tell that oak by the smell

Oh yeah. I cut a lot of red oak and there's no mistaking that vinegar smell. My 5 year old LOVES it...he's always picking up splits and jamming his nose in.

I have a 2 cord stack of totally green red oak out back and you can smell it from 10 feet away.

Last edited:
Some of those bigger logs look like they would be good enough to go to the mill. I just had all my good ash logged off this year and there is a lot they left for firewood. It will take me a few years with the amount I have. I have close to a years worth that is dead standing before I get to anything with life in it.