Got my first estimate - ouch!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobobiker

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2009
Western PA
Hey all,

I've lurked here for a while, but my wife and I have decided to add a wood-burning insert to the home and I figured I should solicit some advice. We've been looking at the Quadra Fire 3100i, but the estimate this week came in at $4,600+, which included $900 for the liner supplies and $600 for installation. Being new to this and to wood heating, I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it certainly blows the budget I had in mind of mid to high 3K. I've asked another vendor for an estimate on a Lopi insert (not sure yet of our choice of models). I thought I would throw this out to the group for both a sanity-check and also to solicit any advice you feel inclined to offer. I would prefer to stay with wood heat since I live on 5 acres and have a good supply of oak, cherry, locust, etc.

Thanks everyone - my son and I are going to the woods to cut a tree...

$1500 for liner and install is right ballpark. Is liner insulated?

I new to this to i had a estament for a insert avalon olympic takes 24' logs came to 3700 and smaller stove came to 3200.Install is 420 and 300 for flex pipe and he threw in 320 blower for free.still alot but still worth it since propane is like 3,000 a winter for me.

Sounds a little high to me, but we don't know all the details. It would be cheaper to install yourself if your a little bit handy and you can buy a liner a lot cheaper on line. See where the other bid comes in and make sure they give you an itemized list of the costs.

We're getting into peak season now. Bargains are going to be few. What was the cost of the insert? I would expect it to be about $2K for a mid-sized unit. How much was the tax?

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I am pretty handy, and the home we're putting this in is a "fixer upper" we purchased earlier this year. I'm also with the local Habitat for Humanity, so I may have some resources with the rest of the crew. I just wasn't sure that was an option and I don't want my family to suffer any hardship due to my inexperience in installing anything "fire related."

As for the pricing specs, here they are:

Quadra Fire 3100i, fans, gold trim, louvers, and large surround (50X34) - $2,933
Stainless steel liner and components (not sure about the insulation question) - $900
Installation - $600
Tax - 229.98

For a total of 4662.98

I'll be asking the second company to compare some of their Lopi lineup that is comparable...

BeGreen said:
Stove price seems a little high. At that price, you could have Tom ship you a Super.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacsupins.htm

Looks like a nice stove, and I'll do some research on it. Problem with the local vendors is that they only install what they sell. Evidently if I want them to install I have to buy from them, new, as anything used is out of the question as well. :-(

One option might be hiring a certified sweep to do the liner installation. Or it can be done by oneself with a little help.

Don't forget that most new stove installations (stove, liner, install, everything) can be part of a 30% tax credit (not deduction). So assuming your stove qualifies, and you haven't used the credit for something else (e.g. windows) a $4,500 total cost comes down to $3000 ($1500 is the max credit). Big game changer.

Hobo Biker said:
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I am pretty handy, and the home we're putting this in is a "fixer upper" we purchased earlier this year. I'm also with the local Habitat for Humanity, so I may have some resources with the rest of the crew. I just wasn't sure that was an option and I don't want my family to suffer any hardship due to my inexperience in installing anything "fire related."

Quadra Fire 3100i, fans, gold trim, louvers, and large surround (50X34) - $2,933
Stainless steel liner and components (not sure about the insulation question) - $900
Installation - $600
Tax - 229.98

For a total of 4662.98

I'll be asking the second company to compare some of their Lopi lineup that is comparable...

I'm paying $2900 for a Quad 4100i with the full trim kit and fans.
They also quoted me $900 for the insulated liner and $500 for installation (liner and insert).

Who are you dealing with in PA?

Hobo Biker said:

Installation - $600
Tax - 229.98

For a total of 4662.98

Seems consistent with what I paid last summer here in CT. Back then people were still in shock about the high price of oil and stoves were selling like hotcakes!

MofoG23 said:
Hobo Biker said:

Installation - $600
Tax - 229.98

For a total of 4662.98

They also quoted me $900 for the insulated liner and $500 for installation (liner and insert).

That quote was from Anderson Fireplace in Indiana, PA. I'll be getting a quote from another place next week. Do you have a suggestion in our area?

Hobo Biker said:
MofoG23 said:
Hobo Biker said:

Installation - $600
Tax - 229.98

For a total of 4662.98

That quote was from Anderson Fireplace in Indiana, PA. I'll be getting a quote from another place next week. Do you have a suggestion in our area?

I'll send ya a PM.

MofoG23 said:
Hobo Biker said:
MofoG23 said:
Hobo Biker said:

Installation - $600
Tax - 229.98

For a total of 4662.98

I'll send ya a PM.

Thanks. I probably should have done the same rather than put their name in space like that...

I wouldn't worry about it.

MofoG23 was dead on when he said another vendor might be more competitive. We stopped in the showroom today and penned a deal for a Quadra Fire 4100 installed for LESS than my previous 3100i quote. More stove for less money - can't beat it. Forums like this are a wealth of info for people, and the expertise and talent you find on these sites can't be beat.

Thanks everyone...

Hobo Biker said:
MofoG23 was dead on when he said another vendor might be more competitive. We stopped in the showroom today and penned a deal for a Quadra Fire 4100 installed for LESS than my previous 3100i quote. More stove for less money - can't beat it. Forums like this are a wealth of info for people, and the expertise and talent you find on these sites can't be beat.

Thanks everyone...

Cool! When is your install and did you go with the vendor I recommended?

Hobo Biker said:

Thanks everyone...

We will, of course, be looking forward to our share of the saved money ;)

Good job, get some dry wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.