Got spooked and bought pellets higher than I wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Ok, so a week ago I said I probably wouldn't be paying more than $250 a ton for quality pellets this year.

Yeah....well....er....I guess I had 2'nd thoughts.

I bought 1 ton of New England's on Friday for $289. $40.00 more a ton than I wanted. But what the hell.

I have been keeping a close watch on Heating oil prices in my area and they jumped from ~$2.30 a gallon to ~$2.50 a gallon.

http://www.newenglandoil.com/massachusetts/zone7.asp?x=0

So I bit the bullet and plopped down for a ton at Ash a Way in Dartmouth Ma. Maybe not the cheapest place but they tossed me a few odd ball brands to try.

The gave me a bag of Inferno's (cheaper but I hear not so good things about them)
and a bag of Curran's (supposed to be a pine softwood pellet like ACP's so not expecting good things from them)

Recently I tried a few bags of Bayou brand from my local hardware store and didn't like them (low heat and lots of ash)
After that I tried Energex (what I burned most of last year) results were the same as last year. (ok heat, normal ash)

Ash a Way makes loading easy and I can be in and out of there in just a few minutes. Plus they are good to deal with.

So now I am looking for 2 more tons of good pellets for ~$265 a ton (ok wishful thinking)

---Nailer---

From what I hear, The are some BJ's carring Okies for around $260 to $270 a ton. Getting a great pellet at a bigbox price is a plus. The other bigbox brands have been so so. Nothing to write home about. There were deals this spring at some pellet house's, But there long gone now. I scored some Energex softies for $240 a ton in april and some O'malley's for the same price in early may. Most of the pallet house's are at there winter prices and I don't see them dropping.

You might have waited to long to get your stash set for the season. You best bet is to go to a BJ's and see what there are carring. IMO NEWP's for $289 is to high. But I never thought NEWP's were much more than a decent pellet. I like getting them for shoulders if they are cheap enough, Lately I haven't bothered, I have found better for less. Seems your paying for the NEWP name than whats actually in the bag. I'd pay $240 for them but not a penny more. But location is also a factor on the price of them or any pellet for that matter.

If you want the best deal? You gotta do the home work and leg work to find them.

just my 2
jay

My walmart has penningtons for $250 a ton, i've been burning them for years with no problems.

(The gave me a bag of Inferno’s (cheaper but I hear not so good things about them)
and a bag of Curran’s (supposed to be a pine softwood pellet like ACP’s so not expecting good things from them)

Nailed_nailer, let me know how the Curran's burn. Saw them today at Lowe's and might try a bag or two. Not a whole lot on this board, but most of the comments are fairly positive.

nailed_nailer said:
So now I am looking for 2 more tons of good pellets for ~$265 a ton (ok wishful thinking)

---Nailer---

Nailed, just for giggles, I checked Craig's List for your area.....there's a guy with Maine Woods hardwood for $249/ton.

I know a lot of people had problems w/ them last year (you?), but I thought I read on the forum that this years pellets were much better.....might be worth a shot to get a couple of bags and try them.

http://capecod.craigslist.org/for/1401710745.html

Jake,

I didn't burn NEWP's last year but I did the year before. I liked them a lot. They were 310 a ton last year.

King, I tried Pennington's once.....just once.

Mac, I burned Energex and Green Supreme's last year. It wasn't me that posted about Maine Woods

Count, I'll let you know when I burn them.

I'll have to check BJ's for Okies. I let my membership lapse.

Thanks,
---Nailer---

BTU said:
....When you go to a store, go to the customer service desk when you walk in and tell them you would like a day pass so you can buy some pellets...they will let you do that.

Yep, BTU's correct. I even got one mailed to me, and I've never been a member!

Nailer,
A little late now for you...but I got 4 tons of Barefoots for 279 per ton delivered from South Shore Wood Pellets this past spring...part of their early "sale." Price is high, but very few companies deliver to the Cape, where they assume all the people on this side of the bridge live in million dollar houses and can pay top dollar. I love the Barefoots and am set for the winter.
Marina

Status
Not open for further replies.