Got that Dutchwest 2460 home.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marsfarmer

Hearth Supporter
Sep 7, 2009
RI
Luckily the seller had a front end loader with forks, so backs were saved on that end. Now I've gotta get it up my stairs. Waiting on a buddy. I sold my Jotul this morning and handed the same stack of bills to the guy with the 2460 this afternoon. Everybody's happy, so far. How's that for economical? Based on what everyone said I decided to look at the cat later; save a gasket. I can address that in the Fall. I did find a broken wingding on the main intake. Bummer, but hopefully fixable. I just hope in the interim I'll be able to control the burn. I gave the pipe damper away with the Jotul!

marsfarmer said:
Luckily the seller had a front end loader with forks, so backs were saved on that end. Now I've gotta get it up my stairs. Waiting on a buddy. I sold my Jotul this morning and handed the same stack of bills to the guy with the 2460 this afternoon. Everybody's happy, so far. How's that for economical? Based on what everyone said I decided to look at the cat later; save a gasket. I can address that in the Fall. I did find a broken wingding on the main intake. Bummer, but hopefully fixable. I just hope in the interim I'll be able to control the burn. I gave the pipe damper away with the Jotul!

Congrats but no pics so it didn't happen!

Ray

Good stuff.

Now, what's a "I did find a broken wingding on the main intake"?

:ahhh:
Hardrockmaple said:
Good stuff.

Now, what's a "I did find a broken wingding on the main intake"?

It's attached indirectly to the overhead whamshafter of course!

:ahhh:

Ray

Congrats on the stove! I'm sure you will build a good relationship with it in time. I have had mine 11 years now and I still like it. If you have any questions fire away as there are a few of us that can probably help you out.

The number of Dutchwest stove owners is growing here! Best wishes and let's see some pics soon :)

Ray

You're in good company here Marsfarmer. I bought mine used in February of last year, thanks to the posts made here from happy Dutchwest owners and it has not let me down. I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase and welcome to the DW club! Keep sharing with us, and if you have anymore questions please ask! It'll take you a little bit to get used to burning in that new stove. I'm still learning tricks after a year!
Send us pics when you get around to it!

Chris

PS: If you're not taking the cat out make sure it lights off shortly after you damper down. Look up into the baffle and you'll see it glowing, then you know it works! Make sure to treat it like a new stove and do some break in fires to take any moisture out of it and prevent any seams from cracking. Read the manual and you should be able to get it going in no time!

VCBurner said:
You're in good company here Marsfarmer. I bought mine used in February of last year, thanks to the posts made here from happy Dutchwest owners and it has not let me down. I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase and welcome to the DW club! Keep sharing with us, and if you have anymore questions please ask! It'll take you a little bit to get used to burning in that new stove. I'm still learning tricks after a year!

Chris

PS: If you're not taking the cat out make sure it lights off shortly after you damper down. Look up into the baffle and you'll see it glowing, then you know it works! Make sure to treat it like a new stove and do some break in fires to take any moisture out of it and prevent any seams from cracking. Read the manual and you should be able to get it going in no time!

Man I wish I could see my cat when the stove is running! I'm lucky to see an orange glow with all the light off in the living room since my windows go black within 5 minutes of shutting the stove down. You guys have no idea how lucky you are to be able to see what is going on inside your stove.

raybonz said:
marsfarmer said:

Ray
Aw man, that's true. But I'm too tired for pics. Just watching the glow. Most of my photos would have been of two guys with a handtruck on the stairs. THAT was the big challenge of the day. Well, that and a certain unnamed party suggesting, upon coming home to a dining room full of wrenches, stove parts and soot, that going to bed cold would not be an option. Worked late but it's in.
Now, what’s a “I did find a broken wingding on the main intake�
Ok, the wingding is an extremely technical term we use down here at the Rhode Island Institute of Technology meaning "the primary air control flapper thing." Looks like somebody jammed something in the hole and bent it all up so it doesn't close. I put a piece of aluminum over it for now.
The damper is sticky too, so it looks I will be taking a look under the hood, at which point I'll check out that combustor...
Regardless of all that, I have to say the stove is definitely throwing more heat than I had before!
Pics tomorrow.

certified106 said:
VCBurner said:

Chris

Man I wish I could see my cat when the stove is running! I'm lucky to see an orange glow with all the light off in the living room since my windows go black within 5 minutes of shutting the stove down. You guys have no idea how lucky you are to be able to see what is going on inside your stove.

I have a lift off cooktop that I can pick up to see the cat glow.. Does yours have a lift off cooktop?

Ray

marsfarmer said:
raybonz said:
marsfarmer said:

Ray
Aw man, that's true. But I'm too tired for pics. Just watching the glow. Most of my photos would have been of two guys with a handtruck on the stairs. THAT was the big challenge of the day. Well, that and a certain unnamed party suggesting, upon coming home to a dining room full of wrenches, stove parts and soot, that going to bed cold would not be an option. Worked late but it's in.
Now, what’s a “I did find a broken wingding on the main intake�
Ok, the wingding is an extremely technical term we use down here at the Rhode Island Institute of Technology meaning "the primary air control flapper thing." Looks like somebody jammed something in the hole and bent it all up so it doesn't close. I put a piece of aluminum over it for now.
The damper is sticky too, so it looks I will be taking a look under the hood, at which point I'll check out that combustor...
Regardless of all that, I have to say the stove is definitely throwing more heat than I had before!
Pics tomorrow.

Congrats and with near zero tonight not a minute too soon!

Ray

Marsfarmer, you can adjust those primary air intake doors individually. I've never done it. But one of my doors stays open slightly more than the other and I plan on fixing it this warm season. How is it going with the new stove? Are you getting good results on burn times and heating compared to the old stove?

I love the stove. But not having a functioning intake control is tough. I'm happy to live with it for now, work on it when it's warm, but I definitely am mad at the seller for not bringing it up when I bought it. Anyway, what we're noticing is more heat thrown while less wood gets fed. A very good deal that I hope will pay off big time, especially if I can fix the intake and sticky damper. It was a good deal, even though I had to pick up some new parts and putter w/ the stove. That said, New England Hearth & Patio in Barrington, RI had all kinds of parts in stock for this model at good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.