Need advice on United States Wood Stove rated for 1100 sq.ft.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrem1187

Aug 15, 2011
Indiana
Hi all,

Sold my knock off Buck model 27000 today. Some folks on this site advised me that it might not be the stove I need. Paid $125 cleaned it up and sold for $300. So now I'm back for more advice. I stopped by TSC recently to see their selection of stoves and found this model rated for 1100 sq.ft. on sale for $349 (http://www.tractorsupply.com/wood-h...stove-small-1-100-sq-ft-epa-certified-5126762). Wondering if anyone has knowledge regarding the stove. Biggest concern is will it heat my cabin/home? We live in a small 1300 sq.ft. log cabin built in 2000. It's pretty airtight with good windows and plenty of insulation in attic. Open floor plan with living room and kitchen in main living area with vaulted ceiling and loft with office and bath. Two bedrooms and bath down stairs down a short hallway. Next step up is an epa certified stove rated for 2000 sq.ft at nearly twice the price. So my dilemma is; pay twice as much for more stove than I need or save money and end up with a stove that won't heat my home. I'm sure most will say buy the bigger stove. Hoping someone will say "I have that little stove and it's a beast. You'll have no issues heating your cabin with that little jewel". Also, if your familiar with this stove what kind of burn times can I expect?

BTW, had a VC Defiant made in 1980 show up on Craigslist tonight. Seller said it came out of an elderly couples home that just sold and that the buyer gave it to him. They told him it has been used less than 10 times. He said the fire bricks aren't even dirty. He wants $300 for it. I'm guessing that would be overkill for my home based on the info I remember reading about this classic stove. I'm tempted to buy it for resale. Gotta be worth more than 300 if it truly is in the shape he claims. Any opinion?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Why not buy the next model up (Medium sized) The US Stove model 2000. Its only $150 more and rated for 2,000 sq ft.

My Uncle bought one this year and his home is about 1,200 total. But becuase kids are moved out and extra rooms are closed off, itys more like 800-900 sq ft. This stove has been doing the trick. just over there tonight and it was TOASTY in there.

A little better to be oversized than undersized, in my opinion. For $150... Its worth it for the extra firebox room.

Go with a larger stove. The advise commonly given out on this forum is find a stove that meets your sq. footage requirements, & go for the next size up. I'd go for a stove that is rated for around 2,000 ft., or around 2 cu. ft. firebox... Even if the other stove is twice the price of the small one, that would make it around $700, which is still a very good price for a wood stove. If you go with the small one, you'll probably be wishing you had went the next size up.

Status
Not open for further replies.