Got the call

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
A co-worker of mine called me tonight and asked if I remembered telling him I would take the wood from a tree he was talking about cutting down. I said yes and he says "Well, do you want it." Of course I said sure and then asked how much was there because I needed to figure out cutting it down. He replies "probably a cord but I still have more to clean up." I'll let you know what it is but if I remember it's some kind of hardwood. Either way, it's a scrounge.

fv

Good call for sure.

Makes it twice as sweet when they call you to come and get it. Good scrounge..................................

Love those calls, I have a guy up the street thats clearing oak trees off his property to make room for a garden and play area for his kids. he cuts down one at a time, then calls me to come pick it up.

Talked to him today and asked if he knew what kind of tree it was.....he said the kind with leaves. Well, I know it's not pine. I don't care it's still some BTUs.

fv

Well, it was nice that he could be so specific...

Well his heart is in the right place, he's not the outdoors kinda guy.

fv

Turned out to be two truck loads (1- Dakota and 1-Ranger) of Silver Maple. Not the best but you can't beat free wood.

fv

The only calls I get are from telemarketers!! I need a new phone number!! Good score!

Ray

fireview2788 said:
Turned out to be two truck loads (1- Dakota and 1-Ranger) of Silver Maple. Not the best but you can't beat free wood.

fv
Could have been. elm. least that'll split half way decent.

Great score fireview! I'm working up 4 cords of silver maple. Splits easy, drys fast, easy to start & burns hot. Some don't care for it, but I can get nice overnight burns with no problem with it. If I had to pick only one type of wood to burn with, it would be maple.
After some sweat equity, scored 4 cords (4 level with cab 8' pickup & 1.5 trailer loads) honey locust.

I was reading the first post thinking that when people who don't burn wood estimate the amount then the actual value comes in at about 25% of their estimate. I'm just playing with this theory, but let's see if it holds true elsewhere. This would be closer to 1/3, I believe..

It's definitely silver maple, still had leave on a couple of sticks plus I can tell from the bark. Most of our residential areas are loaded with silver maple, grows fast, looks good, and provides good shade.

I don't mind it at all, I think we always hope for that super score of ash, oak, hickory, etc but I really don't care what I get with the exception of willow and sycamore. I'm a scrounger and will take what I can get. As the word gets out I'll come pick up wood ASAP then I'll be getting more phone calls.

I'm a rookie at the total amount from a pile of wood. I won't know until I split it and that's not going to be for awhile.

fv

Danno77 said:
I was reading the first post thinking that when people who don't burn wood estimate the amount then the actual value comes in at about 25% of their estimate. I'm just playing with this theory, but let's see if it holds true elsewhere. This would be closer to 1/3, I believe..
I don't know how much less a Ranger and Dakota hold than a full-size pickup, but conventional wisdom says a full-size truck will hold 1/3 cord of splits if they are tossed in, 1/2 cord if stacked. And these loads are rounds, so the guy's estimate might be pretty close...sounds like at least 2/3 cord. Tell us how it stacks up, FV! :)

OK, I'd post pics but our camera is drying in rice. The final stack of rounds, in different sizes, is 12'x3'x3' so see what you guys come up with c/s/s.

fv

fireview2788 said:
OK, I'd post pics but our camera is drying in rice. The final stack of rounds, in different sizes, is 12'x3'x3' so see what you guys come up with c/s/s.

fv
I came up with enough that I'm surprised you don't own a broken truck. about 93% of a cord.

edit: I always add about 10% to get post splitting volume. Also, I'm not sure what Silver Maple weighs, or whether this is seasoned much, but we are probably talking between 3,000-4,000lbs of wood...

Danno77 said:
but we are probably talking between 3,000-4,000lbs of wood...

My old Dakota could handle a 2000# load. Just say'in. (1992 4x4 extended cab).

Jags said:
Danno77 said:
but we are probably talking between 3,000-4,000lbs of wood...

My old Dakota could handle a 2000# load. Just say'in. (1992 4x4 extended cab).
Well, you aren't getting any arguments from the idiot that had 3800lbs in his halfton this summer.

It was split between two trucks and yes the big rounds were heavy. It took two of us to lift them and I was not happy moving them to the trailer to get them in the backyard. 2/3 of a cord, sweet!

fv

To us, there's absulutely nothing wrong with silver maple. Some years that's all we could get. Kept the house warm. Now wish we had some to restart and mix with the less-than-well-seasoned oak and B.locust.

Status
Not open for further replies.