Got to see a real chimney fire today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I got to see a real chimney fire today at CSIA in their test chimney. It was pretty educational. Lots of smoke at times, rumbling, liner tiles cracking. The funny thing is, there wasn't that much glaze in the chimney to start but it burned well anyway.

Moral: Keep them clean!

pics or it didn't happen :)

what was the temp that lit off the fire?
can you tell more on the tiles breaking down and the like?
i've had a beauty here my first year running my creosote factory. (defiant 1)
5 foot reddish orange flames coming out of the chimney

you want to see a chimney fire, check out just about anyone with a OWB, unless they are burning really seasoned wood they will have a fire. My sister and her husband have an OWB and they have chimney fires every other week or so, of course when all that it is heating is a double wall stainless pipe and the great outdoors it is no big deal.

Yup. People with OWBs seem to just throw anything that will burn in there.

We had one last year in town. The owner had cleaned the chimney but ran the stove very cool making plenty of creosote. Very hot fire cracked not only the tile but the cement blocks. The house was only three years old. We did save it with no other damage, just luck. Be safe.
Ed

I had a gentleman walk into my store last winter and ask if I had anything to put out a chimney fire.....apparently he had one ripping in his chimney and decided the smart thing to do was leave the house and drive around looking for something to assist him in extinguishing it. I could do nothing but stare at him perplexed. Never did hear what happened though.

Delta-T said:
I had a gentleman walk into my store last winter and ask if I had anything to put out a chimney fire.....apparently he had one ripping in his chimney and decided the smart thing to do was leave the house and drive around looking for something to assist him in extinguishing it. I could do nothing but stare at him perplexed. Never did hear what happened though.

"For Sale. One woodstove. Used. Only had one chimney fire. Wife says I am a hammerhead and is making me get rid of the stove. $500, best offer or swap in trade for $500 worth of heating oil."

;) :)

Delta-T said:

Welllllll . . . did you happen to see a whole bunch of shiny, red firetrucks go roaring by shortly afterwards with red lights and sirens screaming? ;) :)

Delta-T said:

I lol'd at that one...

Ghettontheball said:
keep a wet newspaper inside a plastic bag handy. place in stove for chimnifire. produces steam so to minimize damage
I would never recommend this. Looks good on paper but when you open the door you let more air in plus if the fire is really cooking you may get blow back with fire into the room. I've heard of people who panic and leave the stove door open adding to their problems. Same with a one room and contents fire. Close the door and get out Call 911 and get everyone out; death is permanent. If you really are gung ho, after calling the fire dept. go on the roof and drop a baggy full of fire extinguisher powder down the chimney. Many old time woodburners keep ladders in place on their roofs just in case. Could you get hurt, yes, could you fall or slide off the roof, yup, but if you live where fire depts. are not nearby it's your call. Be safe.
Ed

my dad had a 3+ story exterior double wall SS insulated chimney (stove pipe came out of the stove and went up and over about 5' before going outside) he left the bottom cap on the vertical run open so when a chimney fire happened it didn't overheat the stove (tempwood), since the house had asbestos shingles we didn't have to worry about burning the house down too much. He also left the bottom cap off as the wind would make the stove blow back if it was on, the smoke would just come out the bottom of the pipe until the draft reversed.

rowerwet said:
my dad had a 3+ story exterior double wall SS insulated chimney (stove pipe came out of the stove and went up and over about 5' before going outside) he left the bottom cap on the vertical run open so when a chimney fire happened it didn't overheat the stove (tempwood), since the house had asbestos shingles we didn't have to worry about burning the house down too much. He also left the bottom cap off as the wind would make the stove blow back if it was on, the smoke would just come out the bottom of the pipe until the draft reversed.

:grrr: wow :bug: holy cow :ahhh:

rowerwet said:

is that the way he used to clean his chimney? i've read that was how some of the older people used to clean out the creosote. they would run some kerosine down the chimney for a starter and lighter off from the top, so as to keep the fire small and controlled.

the only thing you had to worry about was the roof. and if that was slate. no worry.

fbelec said:
rowerwet said:

is that the way he used to clean his chimney? i've read that was how some of the older people used to clean out the creosote. they would run some kerosine down the chimney for a starter and lighter off from the top, so as to keep the fire small and controlled.

the only thing you had to worry about was the roof. and if that was slate. no worry.

REPEAT :grrr: wow :bug: holy cow :ahhh: with an added :snake:

That's why when you walk through the woods you see many old cellar holes. :lol:
Ed

Ghettontheball said:
colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
keep a wet newspaper inside a plastic bag handy. place in stove for chimnifire. produces steam so to minimize damage
I would never recommend this. Looks good on paper but when you open the door you let more air in plus if the fire is really cooking you may get blow back with fire into the room. I've heard of people who panic and leave the stove door open adding to their problems. Same with a one room and contents fire. Close the door and get out Call 911 and get everyone out; death is permanent. If you really are gung ho, after calling the fire dept. go on the roof and drop a baggy full of fire extinguisher powder down the chimney. Many old time woodburners keep ladders in place on their roofs just in case. Could you get hurt, yes, could you fall or slide off the roof, yup, but if you live where fire depts. are not nearby it's your call. Be safe.
Ed
blowback possibility is worht investigating so i calle d prof who is contacting university chemical engineers. wouldnt mind reading a detailed explanation from u.
Detailed explanation. Air tight stove, smoldering chimney fire, open door, fresh air in, smoldering gases hit fresh air, are happy, go boom. Face full of hot gases and fire, backdraft. Does is happen every time, nope, depends on conditions. Do people panic when their home is on fire, listen to some dispatch tapes. These are only my thoughts as a firefighter. What you do is certainly up to you. Be safe.
Ed

colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
Ed
blowback possibility is worht investigating so i calle d prof who is contacting university chemical engineers. wouldnt mind reading a detailed explanation from u.
Detailed explanation. Air tight stove, smoldering chimney fire, open door, fresh air in, smoldering gases hit fresh air, are happy, go boom. Face full of hot gases and fire, backdraft. Does is happen every time, nope, depends on conditions. Do people panic when their home is on fire, listen to some dispatch tapes. These are only my thoughts as a firefighter. What you do is certainly up to you. Be safe.
Ed

I realize that using the cleanout door to introduce something like a fire extinguisher would also allow in more air but would it be as dangerous? Have any suggest? Is it something to consider while the local vol fire dept is getting stuff around?

You'd have to open to stove door to insert one of those chemfex things too right?

Just curious, thanks!

chimeny fire is a scarey thought. i think i would try to put it out because i dont think the firedepartment would get here in time. im suprized no one makes some kinda chimeny insert that has nozzels to hook to a faucet hose if somthing went wrong to extinguish the fire. u think all the advances in wood stoves they would advance in chimeny fire saftey too.

colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
Ed

x2

get out.

I realize that using the cleanout door to introduce something like a fire extinguisher would also allow in more air but would it be as dangerous? Have any suggest? Is it something to consider while the local vol fire dept is getting stuff around?

You’d have to open to stove door to insert one of those chemfex things too right?

Just curious, thanks!
Signature

Grandma Bear Fisher

PM

On the fire that I mentioned that was so hot it cracked the cement blocks we put the fire out by dropping baggie bombs. After the fire was out we were puzzled as to why there was still much smoke coming from the chimney. Talking to the home owner the said they had used a chemfex in the clean out to no avail. That accounted for the late smoke. To be fair this must have been an old one because they tell me chemfex had just started back in business again last year. If you decide to use one just follow their directions.
Before we all get the hair on the back of our neck up let's not loose sight of the real lesson. BURN DRY WOOD, CLEAN AND CHECK CHIMNEYS PERIODICALLY and the risk of having a chimney fire is drastically reduced. Be safe.
Ed

colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
Ed
Ed

ed you know your stuff. i had it happen to me in a small way. the first time i used oak flooring cut off's to get the fire going i thru in to many. when i went to check on it a few minutes later i open the door and whoose out comes a ball of flame. if i wasn't bald like i am i would have burnt my hair.

if a chimney fire were happening and your clean out door is outside wouldn't it be worth opening the door standing from aside the door and the air being pulled up the chimney would also be the vehicle for the dry chemical extinguisher.

colebrookman said:

You’d have to open to stove door to insert one of those chemfex things too right?

Just curious, thanks!
Signature

Grandma Bear Fisher

PM

On the fire that I mentioned that was so hot it cracked the cement blocks we put the fire out by dropping baggie bombs. After the fire was out we were puzzled as to why there was still much smoke coming from the chimney. Talking to the home owner the said they had used a chemfex in the clean out to no avail. That accounted for the late smoke. To be fair this must have been an old one because they tell me chemfex had just started back in business again last year. If you decide to use one just follow their directions.
Before we all get the hair on the back of our neck up let's not loose sight of the real lesson. BURN DRY WOOD, CLEAN AND CHECK CHIMNEYS PERIODICALLY and the risk of having a chimney fire is drastically reduced. Be safe.
Ed

The one statement in bold is all you really need to know . . . the best way to control a chimney fire is to not have one in the first place.

pen said:
colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
colebrookman said:
Ghettontheball said:
Ed
Ed

You'd have to open to stove door to insert one of those chemfex things too right?

Just curious, thanks!

I wouldn't have an issue with folks using a clean out door and either firing off an ABC dry powder extinguisher up the chimney . . . heck we use this sometimes to attempt a quick knock down on a fire . . . the other option is to open the clean out door and if there are any hot cinders/creosote put a small cup of water on the cinder/creosote . . . water turns to steam, steam is carried up the flue, steam expands quite a bit (which is why you don't want to put massive amounts of water into the chimney less you risk cracking the chimney) . . . we do this quite often and have good success.

However, two items . . . as mentioned earlier . . . best solution to this problem is to use seasoned wood, burn properly and check often. Second item, if you have a chimney fire definitely call 911 . . . then if you feel comfortable and everyone is outside you may elect to try fighting the fire if you can do so safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.