Got winter? maybe soon. to be 34° here on Wednesday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
When we get a warm blast of air (Pineapple Express) & get in the 30s, it usually means a big front is pushing thru &
some winter weather is on the way for the Northern Lower 48.
My guess is for Friday or the weekend to have some good wood ready to go then. :)
I'm not a weather man but if this cold air pocket the size of Alaska moves your way. Well; have your coat ready.
I don't see anything on the radar yet but it's setting up to push some warm air to Alaska. Even fairbanks is forecast to be 20° (that's +20 ) Wednesday.
+ Dennis (AKA: BWS) used the "S" word today.

I am hoping to share winter, I mean I really hate to get to 30 degrees but I'm willing to share. :)

Jet stream shifts Wednesday too:
http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag192.html

I'm sure Zap will keep youns posted if it's heading your way.

if it comes up from the northern lower 48, it must not be coming from Montana's portion... we've been getting above freezing almost every day in the past week.. & have only got 3" of snow this week... so far this winter is nothing compared to last year's...

Good "mild" weather for you, but keep it up there. I painted part of my tool shed yesterday in a t-shirt, and even got a slight sunburn on my neck. I haven't run the stove for a few days now. I am in winter denial right now. Probably going to clean the chimney today. It is very unusual for us to be this warm at this point in the year.

I saw that in the forecast. Hard to believe it's going to be in the 30s when it's been no more than single digits for a while now. Shoot it's -20* right now at my house.

If you Northern types could hold onto this winter stuff until March or April,
those of us in the not-so-far North would definitely appreciate it.
The temps here are gonna be in the 60s today, & a bunch of us from the
local H.O.G. Chapter are gonna ride thru Vermont & Massachusetts in
search of some BBQ. Snow & 900 lb Geezer Glides do not mix well...

I don't really mind it. I was working outside most of today and it wasn't bad to be honest. I thought it was in the mid teens to 20s until I came in and saw it was -12*.

Must be what's pushing our temps up Dave. I came down this morning ready to freshen the fire and saw it was 53F outside. Looks like a heatpump kind of day. Chilly temps at night will be coming though, so I'll take advantage of the lull to reload the woodbox.

It has really been warm here lately. I see rain/snow mix in the forecast but nothing that has to be shoved around yet. Typically though we get some the first week of December.

Quite angry with Muther Nature as of now. I should be skiing. Temps just are not favorable for snow making and she has not been letting the goods come down from the sky.

KC

My Mom is in Pittsburgh, She watches the weather all the time.
She says when we get warm, she gets bad, cold weather.
We're cold now so the trend seems to be true.
Of course, warm for us in anywhere near 30°f this time of the year.
Hoping the forecast is right & we get out of the single digit highs & - in front of the numbers at night. :)

Dave, we finally have snow in our forecast. Looks like it will be wet for several days. First rain then snow then who knows.

My folks live in northern Maine. Mom said it's been very unusual this year, temps in the 60s at times even. As a kid I remember going sledding/snowmobiling on Thanksgiving most years. In the last ~10 years there have been a few green Christmases even.

In these parts it just seems to be getting colder haha!

tfdchief said:
Lows in the 20's here in Central IL all this week.

Yep gonna be the same here in "the tropics" by Wednesday but it sure has been nice for the last week. Hate to see it go.

Up to 14 °f right now. Almost 30 degrees warmer than last night. Getting windy though. (20 MPH now)
Let the warm up begin. :)
Now they forecast only up to 28 °f & snow Wednesday. Still warmer & more normal.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ANCHORAGE AK
1225 PM AKST SAT NOV 26 2011

AKZ101-111-121-125-131-135-141-145-171-282000-

...MAJOR STORM LIKELY TO AFFECT SOUTHCENTRAL ALASKA AND THE GULF OF
ALASKA TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...

A STRONG STORM IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE NORTH PACIFIC ON
MONDAY AND TRACK TO WESTERN ALASKA ON WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL SET UP
A LONG FETCH OF MOISTURE FROM THE TROPICS TO SOUTHCENTRAL ALASKA
WHICH WILL CREATE HIGH POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY PRECIPITATION.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO SEE HEAVY PRECIPITATION INCLUDE THE PRINCE
WILLIAM SOUND REGION AS WELL AS THE SUSITNA VALLEY. AS THE
PRECIPITATION FIRST ARRIVES SOMETIME TUESDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING
TEMPERATURES WILL BE COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT ALL SNOW. TEMPERATURES
ARE EXPECTED TO WARM TO ABOVE FREEZING FOR AREAS AT OR NEAR SEA LEVEL
IN PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND ON WEDNESDAY WHICH WILL CHANGE THE SNOW OVER
TO RAIN. HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND AS WELL AS VALDEZ
(WHERE THE COLD AIR IS HARD TO SCOUR OUT) WILL LIKELY REMAIN ALL
SNOW. AT THIS TIME THE PERIOD OF HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION LOOKS TO
BE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

A VERY STRONG FRONT WITH THIS SYSTEM WILL ALSO CREATE POTENTIAL FOR
HIGH WINDS ACROSS THE GULF AS WELL AS THROUGH TURNAGAIN ARM AND THE
HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF ANCHORAGE. THERE IS ALSO SOME POTENTIAL FOR
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IF STRONG WINDS WERE TO COINCIDE WITH SNOWFALL.
THE MOST LIKELY LOCATION FOR THIS TO OCCUR IS PORTAGE VALLEY AND
EASTERN TURNAGAIN ARM.

THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY IN THE EXACT TRACK OF THIS STORM
SYSTEM. THE TRACK WILL DETERMINE WHICH AREAS OBSERVE THE MOST SEVERE
WEATHER. STAY TUNED TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OR YOUR LOCAL
MEDIA FOR THE LATEST UPDATES ON THIS IMPENDING STORM.

NATE379 said:
My folks live in northern Maine. Mom said it's been very unusual this year, temps in the 60s at times even. As a kid I remember going sledding/snowmobiling on Thanksgiving most years. In the last ~10 years there have been a few green Christmases even.

One thing I have noticed in all the years my sister has been in Alaska . . . it seems like we're often opposite of each other in terms of weather.

One year that Anchorage was getting record setting snow . . . we got zip . . . or almost zip.

In another year that she said you guys had nothing . . . we hit the mother lode.

For whatever reason it just seems that oftentimes we end up this way.

Very true.

I know this summer it was really nice here, where my Mom said the yard and garden were nearly floating cause it rained so much. We had that a couple summers back and it was a nice summer at my folks.

firefighterjake said:
NATE379 said:

One thing I have noticed in all the years my sister has been in Alaska . . . it seems like we're often opposite of each other in terms of weather.

One year that Anchorage was getting record setting snow . . . we got zip . . . or almost zip.

In another year that she said you guys had nothing . . . we hit the mother lode.

NATE379 said:
Very true.

I know this summer it was really nice here, where my Mom said the yard and garden were nearly floating cause it rained so much. We had that a couple summers back and it was a nice summer at my folks.

firefighterjake said:
NATE379 said:

Where I am it wasn't too bad . . . but yeah . . . The County got hit with storm after storm . . . rode the ATVs in Presque Isle, Mars Hill, etc. one weekend and we lucked out as it was one of the few good rain-free weekends.

We are to be 37°f Sunday. Sweat shirt weather , & probably lots of snow :)
Lots of cold air to move out this week, wonder where it goes? Looks like Minnesota will get some of it. Some into Wisconsin.
Jet stream making a big change, by Sunday, right thru Alaska & headed South East.:
http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag192.html

Radio was saying it's supposed to be all rain, not snow this afternoon. Last time that happened it all froze up and made the roads a death trap.

I almost went through my garage door with the truck when I slid down my ~100ft driveway that was all black ice. Could only imagine what would have happened if that drivway wasn't flat!

We're supposed to get a pretty good storm coming in on Wednesday... they're currently calling for 18" of snow to fall on Wednesday, & for it to cool down to slightly below normal temps Wednesday night...

Ohhh please send some over this way. The weatherman says we are on track for an all time record warm November, average over 4F above normal. In spite of the freak October snow we have multiple record days, some temps up into the 70s. Heck in October we nearly hit 90 once.

And they say we could see high 50s and rain through next week.

I've maybe used the stove 3 times this year. Christmas lights and a tee shirt is just plain wrong.

I haven't lit a fire for a week here, and today it is 62F and raining. I prefer warmer rather than colder weather, but I have to admit I have been wanting to start a fire. We aren't expecting the type of cold that bogeyDave just got rid of, but I think more or less the same air Dave had is coming this way. It warms up along the way. If it is 37F at dave's place on Sunday he might be warmer than we will be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.