Granberg precision grinder / sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
I asked for a Granberg sharpener for Christmas and Santa left one under the tree. I always hand filed my chains and thought I had it down pretty good. Today I used the Granberg for the 1st time. Wow, I was shocked how off I was hand filing. I did all my chains with the Granberg and did some cuts on doug fir stumps I have in the yard. It was amazing results. It cut better than a brand new chain. The chips were huge. I am more than pleased and would recommend this sharpener to anyone.

I asked for a Granberg sharpener for Christmas and Santa left one under the tree. I always hand filed my chains and thought I had it down pretty good. Today I used the Granberg for the 1st time. Wow, I was shocked how off I was hand filing. I did all my chains with the Granberg and did some cuts on doug fir stumps I have in the yard. It was amazing results. It cut better than a brand new chain. The chips were huge. I am more than pleased and would recommend this sharpener to anyone.

Interesting. Are you planning use it every sharpening, or just to get the chains back to baseline periodically?

Interesting. Are you planning use it every sharpening, or just to get the chains back to baseline periodically?

Probably just to bring them back to true. One of my chains was really knicked up from hitting a piece of metal in a tree and it now cuts better than new.

Yep. I have the same granberg grinder and its awesome. Well worth the cost for sure.

I use the one northern tool sells at work. I work for a local dpw with about 10 saws in the fleet. Once I started using this I tossed every file I could find right in the dumpster. With the grinder it’s perfect every time and takes about 2 min on a 20 inch chain. I keep about 4 chains for each saw and sharpen them when it’s a little slow. Do the same with my home saws. I fix blades for a lot of people that have used a file for years. Once they get there chain back almost all of them went and ordered the grinder. Best $100 ever spent

I use the one northern tool sells at work. I work for a local dpw with about 10 saws in the fleet. Once I started using this I tossed every file I could find right in the dumpster. With the grinder it’s perfect every time and takes about 2 min on a 20 inch chain. I keep about 4 chains for each saw and sharpen them when it’s a little slow. Do the same with my home saws. I fix blades for a lot of people that have used a file for years. Once they get there chain back almost all of them went and ordered the grinder. Best $100 ever spent
Hey rox- I was trying to find the northern tool version of the Granberg, with no luck. Does it sharpen with a little stone that looks like a dremel bit, or does it look like a mini chop saw where you pivot the grinding wheel down onto the chain?

Looks like a baby chop saw. Love it. So easy perfect cuts every time. And the $100 one is just as good as the $300 one. Had them both

Looks like a baby chop saw. Love it. So easy perfect cuts every time. And the $100 one is just as good as the $300 one. Had them both
Thanks rox. You are talking about a totally different animal than the op.

I realized that shortly after my first post. Apologies to the op. Still love my sharpener
No big deal! Just wanted to clarify for myself and subsequent readers, as I thought I was pretty familiar with the different options available.

Would you post a pic and model number of yours, please.

7D1981AE-A023-412A-99DE-D46C720090D4.jpeg
Oregon model 510 a from northern tool. This one has about 5 years commercial use on it.

Buy the grinder you will never look back. It’s worth the investment. I don’t think the town would be cool with me running a sharpening business out of the shop lol. Maybe I’ll have to get a machine for home . Humm

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Buy the grinder you will never look back. It’s worth the investment. I don’t think the town would be cool with me running a sharpening business out of the shop lol. Maybe I’ll have to get a machine for home . Humm
I think I'll go with the Granberg. #fistpump

To each there own. That looks like a nice unit. The only thing I don’t like is it looks like it squares to the bar not the chain. The chop saw one squares off the chain and clamps it tight. But hey a sharp chain by any means is a good thing

To each there own. That looks like a nice unit. The only thing I don’t like is it looks like it squares to the bar not the chain. The chop saw one squares off the chain and clamps it tight. But hey a sharp chain by any means is a good thing

Interesting point. The Granberg has an adjustment for that inn case you weren't aware.

In full disclosure, I have both types, but different models of each, and I'm not great at getting sharp chains out of either. The Granberg gets the nod so far.

Sounds like you're mastered the mini chop saw version. Which is great.