Grandpa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajbabug

Nov 17, 2011
cent fl
Before anyone says anything, I know, a Grandpa Bear in FL!!! No doubt overkill in some respects, but I have about 2200 sq ft and only will be using it evenings and overnight too keep the ?#$%#$? heat pump off!.
At the time I started looking, it was far and away the best deal for an airtight in all of Fl. ($250)
Just curious about the vintage of it.
The unit has a name plate on the top right rear.
"Fisher Stoves"
"Patent number D23778"
"S/N 5948"
Name is on the right door, arched style Fisher.
GP (L/R) inside the doors, raised letters, not stamped.
Angled bear claw feet.
One piece top, same width front to back.
Welded legs / corners.
There is a small plate just below the rear vent, full width, appx 2" wide.
I suspect it is an attempt at a baffle plate, not sure how effective it is.
One interesting addition that I have not seen in the pictures of any of the stoves here is that behind the door drafts, there is a 6" X 6" plate. I suspect the intent is to disperse the air intake instead of a "blowtorch" effect to the wood.
Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.
Regards
ab

I have one similar to that one. Same size but I don't have the baffle near the flue or the 6x6 plate. Mine
also exhausts out the top and not the back. From what I've been told its early to mid 70s. Don't have exact year though.
Hope that helps.

From what I've been told a bigger baffle is more effective, these were designed to roll the smoke back through the fire

Status
Not open for further replies.