Grandpa Firebrick Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be in one of the firebrick threads found with the search feature when you specify the Grandpa model, I or II, III or IV. Different sizes for different brick patterns. Which Grandpa and I'll post a link.

I just bought a grandpa bear to put in my house and most of the fire bricks were missing. It is a 76 based on the number on the door. Can anyone tell me the pattern for the brick. Also I see pictures of the nickel on the raised parts of the doors. Did all stoves come with nickel because I can't seem to get the old paint off.

That would be in one of the firebrick threads found with the search feature when you specify the Grandpa model, I or II, III or IV. Different sizes for different brick patterns. Which Grandpa and I'll post a link.
The stove has a 76 on the front of it inside the star on the right side. Also did all doors come with nickel plating

That would be a I. Brass or Nickel plated doors were optional on the newer arched type Cathedral style only. No flat top doors were plated.

The first post in this thread gives you the history of your stove as well as door configurations.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-grandma-and-grandpa-bear-details-fireplace-series.69448/

Brick layout depends on where it was made. I can tell you what the original drawing called for, but most fabricators found when they lowered the brick retainer clips so the side bricks set on the bottom first, then install bottom bricks to keep the sides in place, they had less breakage in shipment.
First you need to figure out the clip height. Can you lay a brick on the bottom flat, and then stand one up along the side so it fits under clip, or are the clips low to fit a brick standing up without one flat on the bottom under it?

If you can lay bottom bricks first, and the sides fit up under brick clips, this thread gives factory sizes and order of placement.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/grandpa-bear-firebricks.117985/

If the side bricks fit under clips without bottom bricks in place, you need to place rears in first as described in thread above, then sides. Lastly bricks lay flat on bottom starting at left rear, lengthwise across stove. Leave the right side open and measure for the last bricks on the bottom right to hold the sides and rears tight in place.

***All brick sizes are from the original drawing. That doesn't mean your stove is built to specifications. Always measure to be sure before cutting bricks to size.***

Brick layout is not shown in the first manual which would be the correct manual for your stove. The later III has brick size and layout given.

I just bought a grandpa bear to put in my house and most of the fire bricks were missing. It is a 76 based on the number on the door. Can anyone tell me the pattern for the brick. Also I see pictures of the nickel on the raised parts of the doors. Did all stoves come with nickel because I can't seem to get the old paint off.

Hey Kevin, you're only about half an hour away from me. Check out the picture of the bricks from my stove in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/grandpa-bear-help-needed-please.157610/

Status
Not open for further replies.