1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Granulco at ~$250/ton -- Good deal?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by drewmo, May 10, 2014.

1. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Haven't found much bad if anything at all on these pellets, but I've never used softwood pellets before. Thinking of picking up a ton to get next winter's supply started. Should I bite?

Also, if storing pellets in a garage, should they be raised on a pallet, or would it be OK to lay them on plastic on the floor?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. johnnh

johnnh New Member

Loc:
    seacoast-nh
    I have 1 1/2 bags left out of the 5 I bought a month ago. They burn fine and give heat, but there is one over riding factor that is undeniable about Granulco's:

THEY ARE THE SMELLIEST PELLETS I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS!!!

They smell like glue/industrial lacquer/ cat piss............. The house just smelled. I would put a bag of them in the hopper, then cover them with another bag of pellets of another brand to cut the smell down.
    Again, they burned fine, but good luck.
  3. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Interesting observation. I bought one bag as a test, and although it remains unopened at the moment, I've given it a good sniff and it smells like pine.
  4. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I don't know about Granulco but I can tell you this was my first full season of softies and I am not going back to hardwoods. Burn much cleaner and hotter!
  5. sinnian

sinnian Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Limerick, Maine
    Where are you getting them?
  6. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    If there is any chance of the garage floor getting wet at all, they should be up on a pallet.
  7. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Check the Paris Farmer's Union in Winthrop.