Graphite Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
When you add graphite to the auger to help eliminate any squeels....do you just run the pellets low and then just add into the auger while the stove is running etc.? Havent had to use any as of yet but just curious in case I have to

Thanks

The way I do it may not be correct but it seems to work well. After I did a good cleaning I emptied the hopper except for about 2 cups of pellets then mixed the graphite with those pellets and ran them through the augers twice with the stove in diagnostic mode, no fire. I just scooped them out of the burn pot and put them back through. I save mine in a plastic bag and just add a little more graphite to them each time I use them. They are pretty well coated now and seem to work better each time I use them.

I'm sure there are easier ways to do it but I thought this would give the most even coating to the auger and the tube. I haven't had any squeaking problems so I only do this as part of my good monthly cleaning.

I take a one gallong ziplock bag and fill it 3/4 of the way with pellets, then pour in some dry graphite powder, mix it up, and then I go into the hopper and make a hole - sort of scoop whatever pellets are in there up to the sides, then pour in my graphite pellets... I burn them, although it's a waste of graphite.

I can tell you, though, that since I have been religiously cleaning out the carbon buildup on the bottom auger tube of my 25pdvc, I have not had to add any graphite, as my squealing noise has disappeared.

pegdot said:
The way I do it may not be correct but it seems to work well. After I did a good cleaning I emptied the hopper except for about 2 cups of pellets then mixed the graphite with those pellets and ran them through the augers twice with the stove in diagnostic mode, no fire. I just scooped them out of the burn pot and put them back through. I save mine in a plastic bag and just add a little more graphite to them each time I use them. They are pretty well coated now and seem to work better each time I use them.

I'm sure there are easier ways to do it but I thought this would give the most even coating to the auger and the tube. I haven't had any squeaking problems so I only do this as part of my good monthly cleaning.

Thanks for all the responses. Gonna try some soon as more of a pre caution...and to lube the hopper with it. However....I dont believe I have a diagnostics mode on my stove(Quad Castille)....so not sure I can run the auger without operating the stove.....

Heck! I took a whole tube of graphite and poured it into the auger while pellets were feeding. It really worked well in lubing up the auger squeak and anything else. Made one heck of a mess, but that cleaned up easily with the vacuum.
Good luck, you can;t mess it up too bad. Nothing that you can't clean up!

Status
Not open for further replies.