Gravel driveway silting in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I had my gravel driveway slightly re-graded about 5 years ago to redirect some rainwater runoff from the right side more towards the middle where it can flow towards better drainage. This worked but now the runoff tends to occur in a more concentrated area and appears to be collecting silt. I'm going to try and catch and redirect the runoff further up the driveway but need some advice on how to restore the area shown in the picture.

Most of the runoff flows down the driveway between the 2 vehicles, and the silted in area starts around the frontend of the vehicles. It is unsightly, particularly when damp. A pickup load of crusher run or slightly larger gravel should cover the area but I am wondering if I should first try to 'refresh' the location by tilling up the existing gravel and washing away the silt? I'm assuming the area has the same amount of gravel but it has become solidified and compacted down with this silt.

a768fa10-17b4-4bff-b07f-a10caeb66797_zpse9271083.jpg

Its hard to tell what the grade is like from the photo but if add some gravel and raised the driveway area would the runoff that's causing the problem go elsewhere?

Dig or rent a trenching machine, put in a 4" pipe with a grate and direct the water away from the driveway to the side. Gravel driveways always require a lot of work. Getting flowing water away from them is the best thing you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.