Grease & Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Feb 19, 2012
North,Ca
Hi,

I recently had my barings replaced and the repair guy greased them, he said the old ones had never been greased and they should be. Ever since he put the grease in, everytime I run my pellet stove it fills my house with the smell of the grease, and it's not pleasant. Can someone tell me how long it will take for the grease to stop stinkin up my house? Has anyone else had this happen? I miss the good old days without the grease. I cleaned off any excess grease that was left behild after he greased it up, but that didn't help much.

Thank you

What type of stove you got??

And what bearings? The combustion blower (exhaust), convection blower (room air), or auger?

You can enter your stove make and model in your Signature line. Go to the top of the screen and click on Your Control panel. Then click on Edit Signature. This helps us help you better. (Also shows off what you got) ;-P

Welcome to the Forums.

It really shouldnt smell.. In my opinion anyways.

Can you wipe off any excess grease? You can also remove the whole assembly by removing the 2 electrical wires (stove off) and removing the 4 bolts from the back of the bearing housing. You can better clean it while removed. (May need to empty hopper to/ better facilitate the removal of auger shaft)

But I honestly dont think it should smell. The auger doesnt turn fast enough to generate heat to the bearing. The auger shaft can bring some heat back through it, but I have never smelled any on my 25-PDV or my Fathers 25-PDV. I have greased them well before this past season.

Hopefully Mike Holton sees this thread. He is the Senior tech for England Stove Works. You can shoot him a PM at stoveguy2ESW. He would be the best person to answer your question. Or call ESW tomorrow morning. There customer service is second to none. They will get you on track.

I found this thread looking for the right grease to use in my auger bearings! :)

It's an old thread, but thought I'd comment as well ... I have a 1996 Englander 25-PDVP. I don't know if the bearings had ever been greased before, but after pulling one out, it felt like it could really use some. I pumped it up with a heavier grease I use on my '24 Model T. I don't know if it was proper or not, but wanted to get it back together and run it. Being where it was, and just 1 RPM, I didn't think it would get hot enough to really need some sort of high temp grease.

In any case .... I don't smell mine, either. I suspect he may have over-greased it (especially if he greased while they were in place. You really can't tell if you're putting too much in, unless the bearing is pulled and you can see BOTH sides of the bearing. If it's oozing, you probably have too much. And ... if it oozes on the pellet side of the auger, then it could get on the auger or it's shoot, get hot, and well ... smell!

Status
Not open for further replies.