Great score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood spliter

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, ny
Had some down time at work today so I took a walk in the woods. I was looking for deer but found a bunch of downed oak trees. Looks like there was a fire and these trees were knocked down or just came down. They were mostly Red oaks and a few whites. I also found a trail that I could drive my truck to where the wood is!

I love splitting a good solid, straight red oak. It's beautiful wood, and when you find one that's grown up rather than out, it makes some equally beautiful splits without too much effort. My only complaint is seasoning time. :lol:

Nice!! Both are my favorites.

Went this weekend for that wood I found. Checklist of gas, oil, saw, maul, gloves, water, everything but a wrench.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 445
wood spliter said:
Had some down time at work today so I took a walk in the woods. I was looking for deer but found a bunch of downed oak trees. Looks like there was a fire and these trees were knocked down or just came down. They were mostly Red oaks and a few whites. I also found a trail that I could drive my truck to where the wood is!

Sounds great...whose woods are they though? Yours? Fantstic! Private property or state property? Better ask first.

Looks good and will give you some good heat. Good that you can get the truck right back into the woods.

Two pair of gloves usually a necessity at this time of the year. Tape on handle of splitting maul probably necessary too! lol

wood spliter said:
Picked up some more from the woods. Some Oak and Locust. Cut and spilt on site.
You do good work! That will keep you nice and warm someday.

A gift from GOD plus a trail in you just have to love it!

quads said:
wood spliter said:
You do good work! That will keep you nice and warm some[del]day[/del]year.
Fixed it for you.

LLigetfa said:
quads said:
wood spliter said:
You do good work! That will keep you nice and warm some[del]day[/del]year.
Fixed it for you.
Ha ha! You are correct. Thanks.

wood spliter said:
It was all dead I'm hpoing to get a good burn next year.
I don't know anything about hickory, but as for the oak, if by "next year" you mean this next Fall/2010, no. You might get it to burn but you could have some creosote problems etc. It would be better if you wait until the Fall of 2011, or longer if you can.

Nice haul!!!

I'd keep the oak separate.
A good burn from lying dead oak in under a year is rare.
Even with all the bark gone.
I've tried it too many times.
It's really a waste of a wonderful heat source to try to burn it too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.