Great Tarps (for free, too)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I'm in the process of hauling and stacking two cords for this season and needed some tarps to cover the tops of the stacks. Someone in another thread somewhere mentioned lumber yards, so I went to my local yard and asked. They were kind enough to give me as many as I needed, but two were probably enough since I can divide them among the various piles. Nice, strong material, too.

I'm in the process of hauling and stacking two cords for this season and needed some tarps to cover the tops of the stacks. Someone in another thread somewhere mentioned lumber yards, so I went to my local yard and asked. They were kind enough to give me as many as I needed, but two were probably enough since I can divide them among the various piles. Nice, strong material, too.
Don't know anything about tarps, but that is a nice looking Golden!

Gary

Yes, Honey was a mix of much Golden Retriever. We got her from the Harvard Med School lab. She was a great dog, but she had an extremely small aggressive streak that was unpredictable, not to mention dangerous and risky. So we had to do the worst and toughest thing any animal owner can face. I hope I never experience it again.

I saw that post too and thought that's a good idea

100_0950 (Small).JPG100_0949 (Small).JPG Here's a couple of my stacks with some lumber wraps on top. They work great!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I've been advocating their use for covering stacks for a couple years now. It seems it's hard for some people to believe, but they are actually stronger and more UV resistant that those cheap blue and orange tarps you buy in the stores, and since the lumber tarps are free you don't feel bad about cutting them into strips to fit the top of your wood stacks.
I found the best way to secure the tarps to the top of wood stacks is to fold just enough of the tarps over the side and screw little cleats of scrap plywood along the edges. How are you securing them?

Yes, Honey was a mix of much Golden Retriever. We got her from the Harvard Med School lab. She was a great dog, but she had an extremely small aggressive streak that was unpredictable, not to mention dangerous and risky. So we had to do the worst and toughest thing any animal owner can face. I hope I never experience it again.
Sorry to hear that!:(

Gary

I've been advocating their use for covering stacks for a couple years now. It seems it's hard for some people to believe, but they are actually stronger and more UV resistant that those cheap blue and orange tarps you buy in the stores, and since the lumber tarps are free you don't feel bad about cutting them into strips to fit the top of your wood stacks.
I found the best way to secure the tarps to the top of wood stacks is to fold just enough of the tarps over the side and screw little cleats of scrap plywood along the edges. How are you securing them?
Thats a great way to secure them, one would not mind putting screw holes in them either since there free. Good info all the way around, I'll be scoping out our lumber yards soon.

Thats how I secure my tarps, I use ferring strips and screw them onto the side of my racks. Id like to get some of the material you got.

I take a stapler/tacker and go around the edges. This works pretty well. They even stayed on during that wild windstorm back through the summer.

Good for you Wine Guy for getting these tarps. They would just go into the scrap and you can make good use of them. Not a whole lot of dollars change hands there too and that is super.

Status
Not open for further replies.