Great tutorial on how to dull your chain!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It's actually about sharpening the chain. "Chain Sharpening for Idiots" IMHO.

They say that the alternatives take soooooo long. BS. Takes a couple minutes, max, to touch up 20" 3/8" with Granberg guide.

Not to mention, you should take regular breaks to help stay out of ERs.

I think they are trying to sell sharpening equipment, but they seem to spend more time showing how to dull it. I can't see how it would work better than a file. It probably takes the rakers down with the teeth though. There might be something to be said for that. Not much as it isn't hard to do, but something.

Matt

Waste of money IMO.Not meant for high production. Plus it only works with certain brands/models/sizes of saws. Takes a special bar/chain that costs you more.

Save your money & learn to file by hand,its not that difficult.Then get a grinder later if you choose.

The Bedienung des Schärffix looks like a real pain in the ass to use. I'll keep my hand file with guide thank you. ...And tighten up that chain!

The Bedienung des Schärffix made my nuckles bleed just watching the video.

Put a 12V motor on it and you might have something. Too much yankin' turning it by hand.

Great tutorial on how to dull your chain!

I don't need anyone's advice on how to dull my chains any faster than I already do. I'm like The Flash with the chain dulling thing.

Power Sharp . . . for some reason I cannot picture some of these professional looking woodcutters and arborists using a PowerSharp . . . not when it restricts you to a certain bar and chain.

BDS . . . from the flex and play this doesn't look all that practical . . . looks like someone's attempt to make a portable, hand-operated sharpener.

Status
Not open for further replies.