Great way to get rid of shorts and uglies....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - I had no idea that was even possible for a slow, low power vehicle but he is getting highway speeds and full power. Intriguing to say the least

Wow. I've heard of the WWII stories, but this is today's solution!
Without re-inventing the wheel, I wonder if there is someone out there who would convert a vehicle?
I'd love to see some pick ups running about with a little smoke stack on them!
Thanks for posting this. I've looked on YouTube for more info on Wayne Keith. Very interesting!

I have heard of guys running their generators off of wood gas but this takes it to another level. When I read the title I thought it was a farce and he was just experimenting but he has the history to prove it.

Oh man, I need to get one of those wood gas generators - there's so much fuel floating around here, I could probably get off the petrol and electricity grid if I got crazy.

Many years ago the Mother Earth News ran an article about someone using wood for fueling a car. Seems they may have toured the US but I'd have to dig out the old issues to find it. It certainly is an old idea but has not caught on much over the years.

One other old article I should look up is one that a fellow rigged up something with hydraulics or air, don't remember. Anyway, he ran the whole thing with a little lawn mower engine. Tremendous gas mileage if memory serves me. Not sure why that did not catch on.

I think I just found a new hobby. See what you started. Thanks for sharing great article.

I am not a "Doomsdayer" or anything but this just seems like a cool idea for geting off the grid with a wood gassification generator. My buddy and I are looking into it bit just for the fun of it. Probably won't amount to much more than research at t his point but sure is interesting. His girl friend is an engineer so we are thinking this is a way of getting her involved with our wood procurement obsession but she is not as excited as we are??? I am sure a couple of educated rednecks that make there living in sales could use a good engineer when building a wood fired gas engine.

On a side note, the fuel stations in Michigan, at least in rural areas, typically have campfire wood bundles for sale. I am thinking of the reaction you might get pulling in to gas up and throwing a couple of those bundles into the firebox in the back of the pickup instead of going to the pump.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I am not a "Doomsdayer" or anything but this just seems like a cool idea for geting off the grid with a wood gassification generator...

On a side note, the fuel stations in Michigan, at least in rural areas, typically have campfire wood bundles for sale. I am thinking of the reaction you might get pulling in to gas up and throwing a couple of those bundles into the firebox in the back of the pickup instead of going to the pump.
Bundles of wood at gas stations could be cost prohibitive, but I could see stopping along the roadside for some standing dead wood.

I stationary wood fueled genset to charge up a hybrid or electric car would be nice. In Winter it could be CHP. In Summer it could provide DHW.

Natural gas seems like the next logical step, it is cheaper than it has been in a decade and would be less than half the cost of gasoline. I heard they have a device where you can refuel from your home, it compresses the gas. Wood gasification would be cool, but a lot of hassle. The ultimate fuel is hydrogen, but I don't want to open that conversation at this time.

Natural gas seems like the next logical step, it is cheaper than it has been in a decade and would be less than half the cost of gasoline. I heard they have a device where you can refuel from your home, it compresses the gas...
The "Phill" Station is pricey ($4800) to buy and expensive to operate (800W).

Status
Not open for further replies.