green pads on fireplace glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkupcha

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
Anybody ever use or have info on using those green scratch pads they sell for stubborn dishes to be used on fireplace glass? They seem to be all synthetic plastic (no metal). We do use ashes to scour the glass now so I suspect the green pads cannot be worse?

Unfortunetly no matter how hot I burn or how dry the wood my Napoleon NZ6000 will not stay clean. Thanks for any info.

I have used one when cleaning at the end of the year no problems using it.

Truly 'non abrasive' pads should be OK, but if you're talking about green scotch-brite pads, those will scratch. If you have some of each, don't get them confused!

THose scotch brite pads are exactly what I'm talking about. Are you sure they will scratch the porcelean? They are non-ferrous and I assume no more abrasive than the ash/charcoal we dip the wet newspaper in.

Common rule of thumb is if you are uncertain you try it on a small inconspicuous spot - or someone else when they are not looking.

LOL Scotch brite pads are very abrasive. They scratch stainless steel and some chromed metals! We purchase all different colors which indicate different abrasivenesses. I wouldn't recommend then on a ceramic glass window. Its over kill anyway.

IPLUMB said:
LOL Scotch brite pads are very abrasive. They scratch stainless steel and some chromed metals! We purchase all different colors which indicate different abrasivenesses. I wouldn't recommend then on a ceramic glass window. Its over kill anyway.

Yep! There are some pads specifically labeled 'non abrasive' but a true Scotch Brite pad will scratch glass, metal, etc - probably give you a frosted stove window in no time! I believe they either use silicon carbide or garnet depending on the 'grit'

Damp newspaper will get you as clean as perfect + 1 hour of burning - close enough

That is, a damp newspaper dipped in ash; does a great job of cleaning and the cost is very low.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is, a damp newspaper dipped in ash; does a great job of cleaning and the cost is very low.
Thank you, I must step away from hearth.com when under the influence....

Backwoods Savage said:

+1 . . . namely because I'm a cheap ba$%^$# and refuse to spend money when I don't have to . . . well OK, I did buy some woodstove glass cleaner, but that was before I even had the fire installed. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.