Green Supremes, Lots of Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormPanic

Oct 16, 2012
Merrimack Valley, MA
Grabbed 10 bags of green supremes at my local Lowes last week based on mostly positive feedback from this forum. Seem to be burning pretty well, possibly generating a lot of ash. Is this typical? I had been burning a couple of different brands. I think the Geneva's were probably generating less ash but they were also about $1.00 more per bag.

Typically LOTS of ash. NEWP product.

Just bought some but haven't tried them yet. Less than 200 per ton at the big orange box store with a moving coupon from the Post office.

Typically LOTS of ash. NEWP product.
Since you consistently bash NEWP and you live in the same town as the first NEWP operation, is there more to the story?
NEWP isn't the same as it was at the beginning, I'll agree with you there. I did get a "bad" batch a few years ago when their QC dept must have gone on a bender. My dealer called them and got them replaced at NC, didn't even have to send the other ones back. I have burned them EVERY season since 1996. I find the GS to be exactly the same as NEWP and I have both here this season. I just don't think they are as bad as you make them out to be. More ash? You bet. Junk pellet? Absolutely not.

Since you consistently bash NEWP and you live in the same town as the first NEWP operation, is there more to the story?
NEWP isn't the same as it was at the beginning, I'll agree with you there. I did get a "bad" batch a few years ago when their QC dept must have gone on a bender. My dealer called them and got them replaced at NC, didn't even have to send the other ones back. I have burned them EVERY season since 1996. I find the GS to be exactly the same as NEWP and I have both here this season. I just don't think they are as bad as you make them out to be. More ash? You bet. Junk pellet? Absolutely not.

You blew my cover! I'm secretly starting a pellet mill just to put the evil NEWP out of business. Remember all those unexplained plant fires?...... MMMWUUUAAAAHHHHHH!

Last I checked, the majority consensus is that NEWP, and their side labels, were ashy. If you consider my comment of "Typically LOTS of ash" to be bashing, I believe you're confused as to what an opinion is. BTW, I also "bash" Maine's Choice because I'm looking at land up in ME for a "project" I wanna start.

I'm happy your experience is better with NEWP, and like you, I call it like I see it and I see consistent high ash over the last 8 years. I apologize if our opinions don't agree.

I have no affiliation past or present with NEWP. I would LOVE it if they put out a product I liked and if the price was right, I'd buy em in a second, but I ain't gonna candy coat my opinion of them because they're down the road. Either way, I'm still proud to have them in the same small town I live in.

Strange you got so touchy about my opinion. Is there more to YOUR story?
You gotta chill, fellow Harman brother ;)

Reactions: Eatonpcat
You blew my cover! I'm secretly starting a pellet mill just to put the evil NEWP out of business. Remember all those unexplained plant fires?...... MMMWUUUAAAAHHHHHH!

Last I checked, the majority consensus is that NEWP, and their side labels, were ashy. If you consider my comment of "Typically LOTS of ash" to be bashing, I believe you're confused as to what an opinion is. BTW, I also "bash" Maine's Choice because I'm looking at land up in ME for a "project" I wanna start.

I'm happy your experience is better with NEWP, and like you, I call it like I see it and I see consistent high ash over the last 8 years. I apologize if our opinions don't agree.

I have no affiliation past or present with NEWP. I would LOVE it if they put out a product I liked and if the price was right, I'd buy em in a second, but I ain't gonna candy coat my opinion of them because they're down the road. Either way, I'm still proud to have them in the same small town I live in.

Strange you got so touchy about my opinion. Is there more to YOUR story?
You gotta chill, fellow Harman brother ;)
No need to chill here, I completely respect your opinion of NEWP, it just seems to me (and maybe it's just me) that literally every time the subject of NEWP is brought up you jump on them as junk. Personally, for the $180/ton I paid for them and since OUR Harman's will burn anything, why pay more, especially for shoulders. JMHO and apparently it's wrong. ;)

I'm not going to complain about the GS pellets, they give off the heat for me so far. @ $3.94 a bag (40 = $157.60) they fit my budget here in Maine. All the other brands here are over $4.30 a bag in the big box stores. Wally World wants $5.00 plus tax for the crap they sell !

No need to chill here, I completely respect your opinion of NEWP, it just seems to me (and maybe it's just me) that literally every time the subject of NEWP is brought up you jump on them as junk. Personally, for the $180/ton I paid for them and since OUR Harman's will burn anything, why pay more, especially for shoulders. JMHO and apparently it's wrong. ;)

Well if someone asks for an opinion, I'll give em mine. Not sure if I ever used the word "junk" regarding NEWP though. Maybe. Maine's Choice, yes. My issue is with ash, not heat. If you can get em for cheap $$$ then go for it. Around here, they're regarded as gold. $250 seems to be the average asking price. IMO, that's ridiculous.

I sometimes feel bad giving them the thumbs down every time and my intention isn't to bad mouth them. Again, if their product doesn't change in my experience, neither will my review.

I love cleaning my stove WHEN I'm doing it, but HATE when it has to be done, know what I mean?

My experience with GS so far is yes, they are a little ashy, but I am getting decent heat out of them. The plan now is to run these during the day and warmer nights, and put the White lightening cubex etc. in during the overnights. They are warmer and cleaner.

But the price difference between these and other pellets is stark by me, so I am loading in some more GS. They are 30% cheaper than ANY other brand.

I'm not going to complain about the GS pellets, they give off the heat for me so far. @ $3.94 a bag (40 = $157.60) they fit my budget here in Maine. All the other brands here are over $4.30 a bag in the big box stores. Wally World wants $5.00 plus tax for the crap they sell !

Wally world can't charge tax on wood pellets in Maine.

A ton is 50 bags/ton and at $3.94/bag thats $197/ton.

:p I only have room for 40 bags at the moment, got to make some room in the basement.

I seem to one of the few here that have nothing bad to say about GS's,.. I bought 2 tons mid-last season and still burning them to date,.. ashy has not been my experience at all,.... I'll agree that they produce slightly less heat then Somersets,....but for the price its an excellent pellet.
Green Teams were noticeably dirtier and more ashy than just about any pellet Ive burned,..

GS burn fine for me in Travis Industries Lopi Leyden. Burning them right now. Ash and fines are average and heat ok.

FWIW:

A. I traveled up to northern Maine this summer on business and stopped by a stove dealer just to see what he was selling. We talked about pellets and a lot of people up there swear by NEWP and it's all they'll burn. I found the same thing in central Maine. Personally I've never tried them because they're not sold around me.

B. Nobody bashes pellets more than member Sinnian bashes the MWP blend. I, and other's, think it's a pretty good pellet for the $$, so I obviously don't agree with him but he's entitled to his misguided opinion.

C. If you can deal with it (cleaning, etc...) go ahead and use it.

But do not expect anyone to change their opinions of a pellet that flunked the course in their stove that is your favorite is as good as you say it is.

I have one rule it must keep my house warm burning in my stove and do so for at least a week between cleanings.

If you have to clean every 3 days and don't mind it enjoy.

Note: My bucket of parts has no damper, no automatic sensor based combustion control computer, and no fuel feed adjustment ability once you leave heat level 1. It can handle standard grade pellets but you have to really pay attention to the ash buildup.

I've fought the battle with high ash pellets in fact I'm burning what used to be a major producer of ash, note the words used to be, I also haven't bought a bag of pellets since spring of 2011.

I bash NEWP every chance I get. The reason; I think they are JUNK! They burn dirty, create alot of ash, and DO NOT produce the heat of a premium pellet. My buddy in NH has only burned GS for many years, upon burning just 2 bags of Barefoots that I gave him he is now a convert. He could not believe the heat and the low ash! He's very frugal (some may say cheap) and he spent $300 a ton for Vermont Softwoods this year.

I've fought the battle with high ash pellets in fact I'm burning what used to be a major producer of ash, note the words used to be, I also haven't bought a bag of pellets since spring of 2011.

You wouldn't be burning MWP - Blend, now, would you?;)

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again....GS (aka NEWP) are just a mediocre shoulder pellet. At a cheap price, I'd get them, but that's it. GT's are WAY better.

Well if someone asks for an opinion, I'll give em mine. Not sure if I ever used the word "junk" regarding NEWP though. Maybe. Maine's Choice, yes. My issue is with ash, not heat. If you can get em for cheap $$$ then go for it. Around here, they're regarded as gold. $250 seems to be the average asking price. IMO, that's ridiculous.

I sometimes feel bad giving them the thumbs down every time and my intention isn't to bad mouth them. Again, if their product doesn't change in my experience, neither will my review.

I love cleaning my stove WHEN I'm doing it, but HATE when it has to be done, know what I mean?
I hear you and yes, $250 is too much for them but again, $180 is very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.