Green Team Platinum vs Cubex Report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickNH

Sep 17, 2014
New Hampshire
First of All I would like to say that I paid the same for both products. about 6.00 per bag (Lowe's vs The Fireplace Store)

For the entire heating season I have been burning Cubex and have been pretty happy with the results. I have finally "uncovered" my GTP (Green Team Platinum) and decided to burn three bags to see if I could tell any differences.

Observations:
I opened up the bag of GTP and compared pellets to the Cubex. First of all the GTP are MUCH darker both on the inside and outside of the pellet. They also seemed more " waxy" in the hand if that is a good way to describe grabbing a few handfuls. Fines in the bag were definitely MORE than Cubex. The GTP seems less dusty. The fines seemed heavier. Pellet length was similar to Cubex​

Burn Report:
Instantly I noticed a more orange flame however the burn seemed hot! Lots of heat coming from that orange flame. TONS of soot inside the firebox. Even on setting 4/5 and 5/5. Also I noticed smoke in the firebox at all settings whereas Cubex had none.
Clean up after 3 bags:
What a mess inside the firebox as compared to Cubex.. Lots of soot everywhere ... Even some red stuff right behind the flame area on the "heat reflector" - "fluted firebox liner" - (that cast iron plate behind the flame) - Ash was about 3 - 4 times what the Cubex produces. However the ash seems more fine than the Cubex.
Stay tuned for Cubex vs Okanagan Gold ...

Last edited:
Cubex burn last year compared to no ash has Cubex this year a lot of ash

I've been burning Greene Team for 2 years now. Yeah seems more ashy (light fluffy black stuff). Great heat. I have had hardly any fines in any bag over 2 years (100 bags last year, 110 so far this year). Now I use a 32 gal Rubbermaid barrel to keep my pellets in near the stove (it'll hold 4 bags, have a big plastic feed scoop I load them into stove with) so any fines that are in the bags end up settling to the bottom once the bags are emptied into the barrel. At the end of last year I had maybe a 1/4" layer of fines in the bottom I had to dump.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.