1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

"Green" work

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Jim H., Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim H.

Jim H. Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. Pa. (Northampton County)
    Anyone get into any of the newer type jobs like wind or solar? I will be loosing
    my job (24yrs) in the paint industry (store manager) of the ICI/Akzo Nobel (Glidden) paint stores and formerly Duron for about 20 of those years. Anyway, I was thinking of learning new skills in this growing field. Any suggestions? Just curious....

Jim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 08brute

08brute Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    My buddy builds wind towers for a large company based in Minnesota. The pay is pretty good at around $22 an hour (Union Pay). Constant travel is required.
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    For a union job that is really poor pay. The general laborers on construction sites, yes the guys pushing hand shovels, their prevailing wage is 39.25$ per hour!!! It's a running joke that when us engineers arrive on site that we are the lowest paid guys on site. Thing to consider is that union jobs aren't necessarily constant work.

I have a civil and environmental engineering degree and am keeping an eye on potential green jobs. The ones that seem to be out there are with energy companies and involve petroleum more often than not.
  4. 08brute

08brute Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    I think a lot of it has to do with location. Laborers around here are lucky to get $12 - $15. $39.25/hr would go a long way here in South Dakota. Thats $81,640 a year! Thats better than about 95% of our local population.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I Know! Amazing that a guy with a goon spoon makes that much. Now that is the prevailing wage and what I pay for his service. I am certain that the laborer doesn't actually get that as salary but that benefits are pulled out of it first. Depends on the union contract.
  6. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    If you are serious look into getting a NABCEP certification. It is voluntary ceritifcation that is frequently becoming a required certifcation to install solar in a lot of the state rebate programs. If you want to pull wires, then you also need an electricians license I am not one, but my understanding is that there is a major apprenticeship requirement, which means a couple of years working at a low rate for someone who has the ceritifcation. There are also up front education and continuing education requirements. Its a chicken and egg situation in a lot of areas, where there are few NAPCEP folks so little opportunities to get apprentice. Solar thermal and solar hot air is a bit less restricted in most areas, althouhg a plumbing license is usually required on the potable side of the piping. As far as I know, solar hot air doesnt require any special licences, but the applications are somewhat restricted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.