GreenStart Igniter Horribly Noisy -- Normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2014
Vashon Island, WA
I'm a new member, though I've been "lurking" as we picked out and got installed a new wood stove to replace the old Fisher in the house we recently bought. We decided on a Lopi Endeavor, which we love, except for the GreenStart igniter.

Our GreenStart igniter is terribly noisy. To those who have GreenStart, what is the "normal" noise? When we complained about the loud buzzing/humming upon first use, we were told that the noise is normal (they sure didn’t tell us that when we were buying it). I know from earlier posts that most of you aren’t enthusiastic about GreenStart, but I’m sure a few of you have it.

Our noisy GreenStart reminds me of that old football game with the vibrating playing field and plastic players. Here is a You Tube video if you don't remember the game:

The horrible noise of our GreenStart is very different from the GreenStart manufacturer's video, linked here (igniter starts about 2:26)
Our GreenStart really sets your teeth on edge -- enough so you want to flee the room, since it continues for 15 long minutes. If that noise is normal, it explains why most of the manufacturer’s videos play music during GreenStart ignition.

I’m pretty sure the igniter is defective since after the first couple times it stopped heating and just blows air. It will probably be replaced on warranty, though we are having problems getting that scheduled. I’m filing a Better Business Bureau complaint (might post about that later) due to the dealer saying it will take 19 days to get someone out to repair it. In my opinion our GreenStart never worked, considering the noise, and the installers didn't bother to plug it in, let alone test it. We paid hundreds of dollars for the igniter (including the extra installation charge), so I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the dealer’s scheduling problems.

By the way, I recommend the Lopi Endeavor. We initially were buying the Cape Cod for its efficiency and low emissions, but it requires a long vertical pipe run before any bends. When the installers measured, they found they couldn’t meet the clearance requirements due to our old house’s low ceiling.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the GreenStart. We finally (2-3 weeks after we first complained) got the stove dealer to send out a technician, who built a quick fire, putting kindling in direct contact with the starter, then announced that the GreenStart worked normally. He claimed that the direct contact is required. However, nowhere in videos or the instructions is this said. The GreenStart does work (still noisily) with the direct contact. After the technician's visit, since he hadn't done anything to reduce the noise, I told the dealer's customer service rep that I was going to approach the BBB (I hadn't gotten around to this), and he promptly offered a refund. However, in the meantime, my wife has decided that she prefers the GreenStart to other ways of starting a fire. So I guess we are stuck with the 15 minutes of noise a day. To be fair, the GreenStart does work, just not nearly as well or quietly as the videos imply. And all instructions and demos are incorrect, in my opinion, since they don't say that you must put the wood in contact with the starter.

Thanks for the report Ross. I haven't had a chance to visit a dealer and listen to one of these yet. Starting a fire is so easy with good dry kindling and a Supercedar that I can't think of any time I would want a gimmick to try and make it easier. Wonder why it vibrates? The ignitor on our pellet stove was silent. Is there a small blower on the GreenStart ignitor?

There is a compressor that blows air, and we have been told the noise comes from the compressor. You would think they could have designed in some sound dampening, though. If it wasn't for the combination of high temperature and electricity, I might attempt adding some myself. But it would be too easy to cause overheating of the wiring or something, I think. Here is a link to their installation instructions, if you are interested. http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/17601675.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.