greenwood dealer has a left-over after they went under- what would be a good buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catnfool

Feb 19, 2010
NW Montana
I realize it wouldn't have a warr., but these are pretty solid units, aren't they? He is stuck with it, and it is just taking up office space he wants to rent. Just throwiing this out there. thanks, bruce

Or, more likely, are you stuck with the unit and looking to see if you can sell it here? :smirk:

You could probably sell it for more if Dave Barber's ba||s were inside the unit . . . but of course, he has none :lol:

I looked inside- NO BALLS!! No, I am at the 4 1/2 year point of building my log home, and am finally getting to the stage I can start getting serious about real heat. My water heater is a little expensive, and I plumbed T's so I can isolate around it when the big day comes.

ISeedeadBTU's, I take it you are not REAL happy with Greenwood?... :)

catnfool, take a look at Jesse's post in the Homemade and DIY OWB's and Gassifier's thread. That will give you a good idea on price--pretty much in line with Craig's guesstimate.

catnfool said:

If you do a little research I think you will find very few who are happy with Greenwood and perhaps even fewer who are real happy....

I'm real happy and would buy another for my greenhouse at the right price. Mine seems to provide more heat than my buddies EKO with much less fuss. And does anybody really think a warranty protects them? My Bro has a useless $4000 Vermont Casting insert in his house that is under warranty. They screwed him hard and won't even take calls. VC is worst than GW IMHO. Talk about taking a good name and turning it to s&%t...

catnfool said:

Actually, I'm not that dissatisfied with the Unit. Yep, it has some things that could have been designed/built better. I just cut some 18" red oak rounds this am . . . would you want to try to burn them without splitting in a Euro-style downdraft?? I think not ;-)

I think all the units bantered about on the forumn have strengths and weaknesses. For example, I would NOT buy a GW if I was going to put it inside the residence. door open=smoke on the GW, just by design.

My dissatisfaction was mostly with the COMPANY. And especially Dave Barber head of customer service. I doubt he could SPELL Customer Service :smirk:

I got the impression they were decent before; I might go talk to the guy after all. I WILL have it outside in a shed; whatever I decide on buying. Someone PM me on what kind of price I should shoot him. I am an idiot for a good deal; I drove three states away to trade a four wheeler for a hot rod transmission for my cummins ;)

What model GW is it 100 200 300 ?

Offer him 2 grand cash and see what happens. I have a 100 and it is as simple to run as jimbo. they are simple right jimbo.

it is a 200. I have to actually MOVE INTO my new house before I can justify buying this!! We are most of the way across the kitchen with our hardwood flooring right now, so SOMEDAY...

You live in Montana, call Fred Seton, pay for a quality unit. Support the guy that invented the thing.
Stop being sooo cheap. It'll pay for itself in a couple of years, and provide well beyond that.
$.02

No factory, no warranty, no tech support, no dealer support, come to think of it no dealers anymore! Hmmmm, how much would I offer him for it. Zippo, Nada, Nuttin, Nothing!! Look at something that at least has someone answering the phones at the tech support hot line.

altheating said:
No factory, no warranty, no tech support, no dealer support, come to think of it no dealers anymore! Hmmmm, how much would I offer him for it. Zippo, Nada, Nuttin, Nothing!! Look at something that at least has someone answering the phones at the tech support hot line.

Amen.

There is a reason they are not in business.
I think the fact that these units require so much user remediation should be an indication.

The Car Talk Guys say it best when they say "it is the stingy man who spends the most!"

i wasnt very happy with my 100 when i moved into my house. but after the cheap taco pump to a sh*t i got it fixed right cost me an arm and a leg. but now im happy as can be with it. if ya get a great deal on it go for it

All of these type boiler are OK if they made them so youcould easily clean them. Not having to disassemble them or cut them up to get at the back would be a great improvement. If I clean mine I almost like it.Its just such an ordeal to get it cleaned completely. It has actually preformed the best it ever has the last few weeks , why I don't know just hope it doesn't disappoint me too soon.

I agree with Trail hound go for the Seton. I am also an idiot for a good deal but If you pursue the greenwood make sure the 200 is not to large for you demand. A lot of poor burning, smoke, and creosote issues posted are from large units idleing to much. My 100 works great and runs clean when the internal temperature is maxed out. This is one case where to much heating capacity is not better than just enough. Good luck with your decision

altheating said:

Typical [del]shyster [/del]salesman . . .

Which would ya rather have . . .?

1) A well made, performing as intended item, but on the occasion it breaks down, yer on yer own, or
2)Something that breaks down all the time, but cool guys down at the shop that fix ya up for free every time

I give you craftsman tools as an example. . . yup, you used to be able to take your broken tools into a sers store and get them replaced. But if ya need the tool, do ya wanna have to go get it replaced? Big part of the reason Pros rarely used Craftsman.

I'm not sayin that the GW is built better than the EB, nor am I sayin the opposite. All the brands have pros and cons. But I want a unit that performs well in my situation and is reliable. The GW is both. I believe cleaning these things will be 'fixed' whe I put SS skins with access panels on it.

Rock on

I just found this guys ad in the local trader paper- he wants 5900 for it!!!!! yep, guess that puts this one to bed! He did have an obo with his price, so I called to see what THAT number was :roll: but it sounds like this is NOT goinig to happen. Thanks for the input- quite an interesting discussion!

I have been thinking about reskinning my 200 as well to make cleaning it alot easier and also a little plumbing rearrangement will make my life easier. Are you going to reinsulate your new panels if you replace them?

Status
Not open for further replies.