Greenwood GW-100 Heat Retention Kit Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91220da

Nov 21, 2008
Pocono's Pennsylvania
Hello everyone.
New Greenwood GW-100 up and running. So far so good. Purchased and wired in the heat retention kit. Anyone else have one? How can I test it to verify it will do its job? Have it set at 140 degrees. Supposed to over ride the aquastat and close the damper to preserve internal temp. when the supply water drops to or below 140 on a fuel out situation. ie when you don't get home on time to reload the firebox. Don't want to let the furnace cool down that much to try it. Question: Is there a button, or program command, that will close the damper as a test?

Hello, I'm very interested in the heat retention kit that you installed. Maybe i can get some more information on where i can the kit. Thank you.
As for testing the heat retention kit to see if its working or not, it seems to me if you stop adding wood to the fire and let the water temp to drop the damper would close.just a thought

I purchased the kit through This Warm House in Mansfield PA. Thiswarmhouse.com It is an electronic temp control similar to the aqua stat. Allows you to monitor and record the highest and lowest temp of the boiler. Over rides the aqua stat and locks the damper closed when the water temp drops below 140 degrees to preserve the internal temp of the refractory and the water in the loop. Prevents all the heat from being drafted out of the stack. You simply turn it off then back on to reset the operation to resume fire. It is handy when you oversleep in the morning and load the boiler later than normal. I did figure out that it works as it should by oversleeping. It also acts as a back up aqua stat and prevents the boiler from fireing over 200 degrees so it serves as additional boil over protection. $195.00 plus shipping but so far I am glad I bought it.
Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the post and the description.

Do you have a Termovar or mixing valve keeping the return temperture above 140F when the pump is running?

What temperature do you have the aquastat that controls the pump to shut off?

I have a Seton W-130 and have put a regular light switch to control the damper to keep heat in the refractory. I have tried a two temperature aquastat but had the boiler idling with a full load...(before the return temp protection) Problem was that if you have a full load of wood and the return water is too cold, then the damper can close and never reopen causing a creosote machine while idling.

Does the heat retention kit monitor supply and return? Does it have anyway to prevent closing with a full load from a cold start and cold return water?

Steve

Steve,
My circulator on the Greenwood boiler runs 24/7. I do have an ESB mixing valve in the return line that opens automatically when the return water drops to 140. The valve allows hot water from the feed line to be introduced into the return line to temper the water. The amount of flow through that crossover is control with an OVENTROP DN-25 mixing/balanceing valve. The damper actuator is controled by an aquastat on the supply line that I have set to open at 175 and close at 195 it usually regulates between 160 and 180. I am sending the water glycol mix through a 170' loop that includes a 30 plate heat exchanger attatched to my oil boiler in the basement of the house. The heat retention controler only monitors the supply temp. Standard temp gauge lets me know the return temp. When on a cold start with a full load the controller has a 50 minute delay to allow the temp to get above 140. Once the return water drops below 140 the 50 minute timer starts, if the temp does not go above 140 within that 50 minutes the damper will be locked closed until you manually reset the controler by turning it off then back on.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.