Greenwood gw 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donovansn585

Mar 4, 2011
NEK Vermont
I am looking into putting a Indoor gasification boiler in my shed there is a company selling left over greenwood gw 100s for 3000 which is considerably cheaper than any other brand the big question why? Anybody have one of these and does it work well please help I don't want to make a huge mistake buying a bad boiler.

I would do a few searches here and you will find lots of information. I have a GW 100. When it works it makes a lot of heat. I have had problems with overheat when the power goes out, so make sure you have a provision for getting rid of the heat if you lose power and have no pumps. A dump zone with battery backup is the least. This stove likes large rounds rolled in the door. Its nice that you don't have to split everything, but I am tired of moving those large hunks of wood. My GW would not completely heat my 2200 sq ft home. I had to use a wood stove in the house as well. (I have alot of windows)It made all my hot water and saved me at least $7000.00 in propane over 3 yrs. My last overheat fried my aquaststs, pumps, and blew a line. So I can't stress overheat protection enough. I don't think I will be putting my GW back on line anytime soon if at all.
Doug

I have a similar boiler. If I were to do it over, I would spend an extra grand or $1500 and get a downdraft gasification boiler. Do a search on Greenwood to educate yourself a bit. If the problems you find don't bother you then go for it. My biggest issue with this style boiler is, the heat exchanger needs to be cleaned often for optimal performance. It is a real pain in the arse and a very dirty 4-6 hour project at least twice a year...

Thank you so much for the info looks like the only way to achieve the results I'm
Looking for is to spend the big dollar on a high end gasification boiler the greenwood sounds like real garbage. I just can't believe the prices for Tarm or Eko or garn it will take forever for it to pay for itself.

donovansn585

The prices for Tarm or Eko or Garn can't simply be lumped into one price category. I would suggest a closer look, there is a $10,000 spread in there. It's like saying all cars are expensive. Yes...but some are more expensive than others.

In the upper right hand corner of this page is a search window it is there for all the forums. Open the boiler room again and do the DP 35 search and you should turn up some useful information. From what I have picked up there are some happy customers. I have an EKO40 which is just a little bigger but is certainly capable of heating a larger home than I have. The DP 35 should work out nice if you don't have a monster sized house. Do the search though as it will really give you some inside info as there seems to be an issue with 50 vs 60 hz . Here is a link
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/71715/

Status
Not open for further replies.