Greenwood Owners Unite - Show us your install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKerley

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2008
Yukon, Canada
How about a thread with all of the Greenwood installations. Here's my GW200 in my garage in the Yukon.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,192
greenwood gets a little beat up here, maybe we scare them away?
the greenwood was the first boiler i looked at. if it wasn't for this forum i might have purchased one.
i'm not bashing the boiler, just expressing my appreciation for all the wisdom here that has directed me to a final
choice that best fits my heating needs and personal comfort.
Thanks to the MANY that helped me....

Here is my Greenwood 100 outdoor set-up. If I were to do it all differently, I would have created a woodshed/boilershed that was parallel to the house and allow easier loading of the shed with my ATV.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_2362.JPG
    IMG_2362.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_2363.JPG
    IMG_2363.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,034
Hi Pete,

Thanks for posting the pics. I really enjoy seeing how others have done their installations and their good ideas. I am in the process of trying to decide where on my property to store my wood. I would like to have a shelter for about 20 cords for seasoning plus another pile close to the Greenwood. The idea of being able to pickup the next load from storage and transport it to the GW with the ATV hauling some type of skid/trailer that is loaded only once is in my dreams. At the present time, I have cords of wood piled without cover all over the yard. I noticed that your wood is either spit or of a small diameter, how is it working out for you? I try to get as big as possible. The small stuff seems to burn a lot quicker than the large.

Where are the pics from the other greenwood owners? Come on people show us your GW!!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 907
DKerley said:
Hi Pete,

Thanks for posting the pics. I really enjoy seeing how others have done their installations and their good ideas. I am in the process of trying to decide where on my property to store my wood. I would like to have a shelter for about 20 cords for seasoning plus another pile close to the Greenwood. The idea of being able to pickup the next load from storage and transport it to the GW with the ATV hauling some type of skid/trailer that is loaded only once is in my dreams. At the present time, I have cords of wood piled without cover all over the yard. I noticed that your wood is either spit or of a small diameter, how is it working out for you? I try to get as big as possible. The small stuff seems to burn a lot quicker than the large.

Where are the pics from the other greenwood owners? Come on people show us your GW!!

Cheers

Oh yeah - the 8+ cords of small stuff that you can see. Well. prior to getting our boiler, my wife and I heated our home with two stoves - which we still have and use on occasion. One stove is a Heartland Sweetheart cookstove and the other is a Jotul 118 CB. Both of these stoves, especially the cookstove, use very small wood. I tried burning the small wood in the boiler and the result was a lot of smoke. So what you can't see in the pictures is the 10 cords of big chunks and rounds I worked up last year piled behind the boiler shed. So once the small stuff is used up - may take awhile - I will fill the bay closest to the boiler with big rounds.

As for a design - here is where hindsight is 20/20. See, I built the woodshed before I had the boiler and so I didn't design it with that in mind. I think the best possible design is like what I have, but the difference would be that one bay of the woodshed system would be enclosed for the boiler. I would build the same design shed but do two things differently. 1) All the bays would be oriented the same direction and would be facing the house. 2) I would build the bays deeper so that I could drive my ATV and wagon parallel to the stacked wood inside and the boiler. This would facilitate easy stacking of wood and later in the winter, if I was sick of hauling rounds from the far end of the shed I could leave the ATV and wagon in there and simply load the wagon and drive it down to the boiler. Ideally, I'd build enough bays so I could have a two year supply of wood in there. So that would mean five bays total including the one on the end for the boiler. The shed roofed woodshed design is easy and inexpensive to build and effective. I got the design from this book: How to build a Pole Woodshed by Mary Twitchell - here's a link to buy it used:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Build-a-Pole-Woodshed_W0QQprZ844521QQtgZinfo

I absolutely agree about the larger and rounder the wood the better for the Greenwood. I can see an enormous difference in the length of burn time and the lack of smoke the larger the wood I use.

If I can figure out how to upload it, I will share with you my dream boiler/wood shed plans I have drawn up.

Best.

Pete

i dont have any pics, but mine is in the cellar. but that will change this year to much smoke! i have the same idea as pete to set up wood shed boiler room. pete i see you have 8 inch pipe to six inch how does that work for you? have you thought of insulateing the boiler room? nice looking set up.what size is your boiler room? thanks pat

Hello Pete,

Thanks for the link. I am interested in seeing your plans once you figure it out.

Henfruit,

How did you get a GW into a Cellar? Ground Level?

Cheers,

i was able to get it in the cellar (ground Level) by removeing a door using a four wheeler winch and a pallet jack.

henfruit said:
i dont have any pics, but mine is in the cellar. but that will change this year to much smoke! i have the same idea as pete to set up wood shed boiler room. pete i see you have 8 inch pipe to six inch how does that work for you? have you thought of insulateing the boiler room? nice looking set up.what size is your boiler room? thanks pat

Hi Henfruit -

I don't know if the 6 to 8 is working well or not. It is what the GW manual said I needed to do for the model 100. I had my draft tested (I don't have an inducer) and it was a steady 0.5 which is within the spec of 0.5 to 0.7. So I am assuming it is alright. What I can tell you though is that the elbow and the 8" pipe sections are where I get my creosote buildup. But I think this is more because they are the only section of the chimney that is single wall. I am changing it to double wall to keep the chimney warmer.

I have thought of insulating the room - last year I ran out of time and money to do it. I may do it for this coming winter. Although I will say that I feel very little heat coming off of the unit.

My shed is approximately 10x12 - I think - I will measure it next time I am out. If I had more room and did the different alignment I mentioned before I would make the boiler shed a bit bigger.

Pete

PETE, DOESN'T YOUR BOILER CONDENSATE AND DRIP OUT THE BOTTOM AS A RESULT OF NOT BEING IN AN INSULATED ROOM? I NOTICE IF HAVE THE DOOR OPEN FOR A LEGTH OF TIME SHE WILL START TO SWEAT. I'M NOT SURPRISED YOU HAVE SOME CREOSOTE IN THAT SINGLE WALL PIPE IN AN UNINSULATED SPACE.
I WILL TRY TO POST MY SETON INSTALLATION WITH A 6" SS STACK. MY BOILER IS HOOKED DIRECTLY TO MY OIL BOILER, NO HEAT EXCHANGER. HOW DO YOU KEEP A WATER SOURCE TO THE BOILER AT ALL TIMES?

trailhound68 said:
PETE, DOESN'T YOUR BOILER CONDENSATE AND DRIP OUT THE BOTTOM AS A RESULT OF NOT BEING IN AN INSULATED ROOM? I NOTICE IF HAVE THE DOOR OPEN FOR A LEGTH OF TIME SHE WILL START TO SWEAT. I'M NOT SURPRISED YOU HAVE SOME CREOSOTE IN THAT SINGLE WALL PIPE IN AN UNINSULATED SPACE.
I WILL TRY TO POST MY SETON INSTALLATION WITH A 6" SS STACK. MY BOILER IS HOOKED DIRECTLY TO MY OIL BOILER, NO HEAT EXCHANGER. HOW DO YOU KEEP A WATER SOURCE TO THE BOILER AT ALL TIMES?

TH68,
do you own a greenwood or a Seton?

If you own a Seton call Fred 406-295-9290 He's a great guy with tons of wisdom on his design and use of his boiler.
He could be offended if asked for advice on a Greenwood (bad history there).
Greenwood is the reason Fred sells his boiler plans/design to anyone.

Hello Ed/ Gassifierwanabee,

I am curious as to what type of stove that you have. The Seton and the Greenwood are basically of the same design. I have a Greenwood and am happy with it.

I have a Seton and Fred has been helpful until recently. I can't seem to get through to him, even left messages. He told me all about the GW deal, that's why I bought from Fred. I'm not disappointeed, I just need to know about his recommendations for draft and temp, IS THAT OPEN OR CLOSED?

I am not going to start listing names, but I know there are more Greenwood owners out there. Come on, take a picture of your unit and post it. We are not showing much group spirit here. People seem to post lots when they are having problems, how about posting when life with your Greenwood is good.

Cheers

The dogs are Newfoundlands. They were bred as working dogs, hauling wood, fishnets etc. The big one is a 3 YO male at 145 lbs. The small one is a female puppy of 10 weeks. She'll be maybe 10 lbs lighter than the male. She is presently gaining 1/2 lb per day.

Where's your Greenwood?

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 351
Status
Not open for further replies.