Greenwood working great in the 3rd year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
This is the 3r year I am firing the greenwood and so far it is working better than ever. It was -20 yesterday and -23 this morning and I had water temps of 175* and 179* in the morning after 8 hrs. I am burning good dry 12" to 14" birch rounds and stoking 3 rounds at a time. I have to admit that I am also burning the Lopi Liberty in the front family room to maintain a 70*+ temp in my 2400 sq ft house. I have 26' of 5' high casement windows in the family room that create the need for the Lopi at night. During the day these south facing windows can generate a significant solar heat gain if the sun is out. The only other thing I changed this year was to shorten the chimney height by 1' on the boiler. I think this is helping me conserve wood. Since it is just my wife and I this year, (daughter in college) 2 showers / day vs 3 or more probably helps alot. Hoping to get my wood usage down to 6 or 7 cord instead of 8.
Doug

Ain't it funny how, despite these units being about the simplest available - other than a barell stove - they have the b!tchenest learning curves?!!

Happy Burning!! :)

I am amazed, once again, how much of a difference there is burning good dry rounds over splits. I was using half and quartered splits that I got for free and I had to load the boiler several times a day. Now back on big rounds I only have to load in the am and pm with a couple of small rounds mid day just for fun- even with temps today at 20 degrees. The wind is howling as I type this but the oil boiler in the basement is silent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.