Greetings and pipe run question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Hi Y'all, John from Western VA here....

Making the switch from a pellet stove to a wood stove. I have a 20' or so chimney with a rectangular (11" x 7" I think) tile lined chimney with a 6" wall thimble. The thimble will only be about 3 feet above the pipe coming from the top of my new wood stove. I've read that two 45 degree bends are better than a 90, but will having such a a short vertical run be a problem for draft if the run is angled due to a 45 at the stove and one on the thimble? I plan on using selkirk double wall pipe with either a 90 and a 3 foot piece, or 2 45's and a 3 foot piece.

Thanks for help on this and many future Q's

John

Welcome!

You will definitely be better off with two 45s. Many people will likely chime in that your 7X11 flue won't work with a modern, 6" outlet stove (assuming it will be 6"). It certainly is at the high end and you might want to line your flue in the future, but I would try it first. My dad is running an EPA stove with a 6" outlet in a 7X11" flue about 25 feet high and it is working well for him. Your success will depend on the stove. So, what stove?

Thanks Waulie - let me add that the chimney measurement is total - I take it in this case a smaller chimney is better because of the large diameter?

Have a VGang Durango ordered -

My stove choice hinged on needing a slender, low emission EPA stove with roughly the dimensions of an old "logwood" type because of a the door near the install that joins the finished / unfinished basement areas, and of course price. I also want to be able to burn longer pieces, and it can do 26" . I realize the 12 hour burn claim is probably overblown but I'll be happy with 8.

My Englander PDVC25 pellet stove is there now, and is a little expensive to run, but does a good job. I want more side clearance when i go to the woodstove.

Can i infer anything from the pellet stove's draft characteristics? (....should have put that in thread first....sorry!) it does well but sometimes dies on it's lowest setting in crazy wind conditions.

to me it is not so much that a 7 X 11 chimney wont work it is just that they are the cause of a lot of draft issues. There are certinatly a bunch of the them out there. Brick masons think they are a universal chimney. They are even worse on an outside wall (of course that is the same with all chimneys ). Getting something with a by-pass damper will help. Except for a non-cat dutchwest

Status
Not open for further replies.