Greyhounds and the Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgambuzza

Mar 12, 2006
Syracuse, NY
This is Isabella. She is our first Grey and came to us from the track after a collision with the rail during her last race. She was initially paralyzed, but after therapy she regained the ability to walk and run, and they tried to race her again on the track. When she kept bumping into the other dogs chasing the lure, they found that the collision fractured her skull, and caused blindness in her left eye (the one used to follow the lure around the track).

The one thing she loves is heat!! Whether it be in front of the Thelin, or Winter Warm Large, she always loves the intensity of the heat coming from stoves. As much as she loves romping in the snow, it seems there's nothing better than lounging in front of a hot, intense fire...

Attachments

• IsabellaThelin.jpg
    IsabellaThelin.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 515
  • IsabWW.jpg
    IsabWW.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 541
mgambuzza said:
This is Isabella. She is our first Grey and came to us from the track after a collision with the rail during her last race. She was initially paralyzed, but after therapy she regained the ability to walk and run, and they tried to race her again on the track. When she kept bumping into the other dogs chasing the lure, they found that the collision fractured her skull, and caused blindness in her left eye (the one used to follow the lure around the track).

The one thing she loves is heat!! Whether it be in front of the Thelin, or Winter Warm Large, she always loves the intensity of the heat coming from stoves. As much as she loves romping in the snow, it seems there's nothing better than lounging in front of a hot, intense fire...

That Thelin must be a cookin'. Nice dog, is she part of the track rescues? Know some folks in CA who make sure no dogs get destroyed from the tracks. If so, my Hat's Off.

Even if not a part of Track Rescue, my hat is off to you.

The second picture shows only 2 exposed bricks in front of that insert . To me that is about 8" infront of the loading door
I hate to tell you, that is woofully inadequate. Code is 16" and depending on you insert listing it could be 18" You need additional protection to combustiables there.

Theres actually 3 brick, with mortar joints ..it may be 14" still short tho..

elkimmeg said:
The second picture shows only 2 exposed bricks in front of that insert . To me that is about 8" infront of the loading door
I hate to tell you, that is woofully inadequate. Code is 16" and depending on you insert listing it could be 18" You need additional protection to combustiables there.

Elk, great dog, huh????

Nice dog, not surprisingly they have v. low body fat and like to find a cozy spot

Thanks for the comments - she is a rescue from the Plainfield, CT track. She is a a real sweetie and is enjoying her retirement. Although short hair - she is the most excited when the real snow arrives - and usually the last to come in after playing in it. She then really appreciates laying in front of the fire.

I measured the brickwork and it is 15in in front of the door (a non standard measurement - but in this 1910 house nothing is "standard measure").

UncleRich said:
elkimmeg said:

Elk, great dog, huh????

I agree about the dog

I guess it is the inspector in me to notice other things.

Bad day doing inspections. I discovered one of the most dangerous situation I have ever wittnessed. Imagine being able to trip over a 600 amp feed to your home?
That's right the electrician never placed it in a trench and encased in conduit. All he did was cover it with 2" of wood chips.

elkimmeg said:
UncleRich said:
elkimmeg said:

Elk, great dog, huh????

I agree about the dog

Bad day doing inspections. I discovered one of the most dangerous situation I have ever wittnessed. Imagine being able to trip over a 600 amp feed to your home?
That's right the electrician never placed it in a trench and encased in conduit. All he did was cover it with 2" of wood chips.

Sounds like you need a new thread, tomorrow. Watch some football... pet the dog.

elkimmeg said:

600Amp feed to a house? That's not a house, that's a power sink(hole).

Nice greyhound - we had a track rescue (same brindle color too) for about 5 years after he spent 5 years racing in Houston and had a collision in one of his last races. Unfortunately, he passed away a few months before we got our stove but we have always thought that he would have absolutely loved hanging out in front of the stove, and may someday get another.

However, he had a cute habit of making tedious adjustments to his pile of blankets, often relocating them to the best of his ability - rather funny to watch. I imagine we may have had some code problems with that behavior...

-Colin

this by far is the largest most expensive new home built in my town so far. This home has over 200 recessed light. Not you usual Halo type but $200 type that's right $40,000
alone in recess lights. This is the same home I had issues with building the chimneys and fire boxes with hollow core blocks. I still have another issue wit clearqance to combustiables concerning one fireplace. I issued my concerns the builder ignored them he will be pulling that wall apart to remove the combustiables or he is never getting a certificate of occupancy.
After finding my latest discovery one has to wonder what else is not up to code and covered up. That electrician should be in the un employment line. The power company came up[ looked at the situation and pulled the meters offf and the meter sockets This is also the home I issued stop work orders to 3 times for having illegals there with out a construction supervisor present

One would thinK 3.25 mill would get quality workmanship

Sorry I hyjacked the post I will remove this later and start a separate post

elkimmeg said:
UncleRich said:
elkimmeg said:

Elk, great dog, huh????

I agree about the dog

Elk,

never mind...was going to ask what size the house was to use a 600 amp feed.....then I saw the post above.

mgambuzza said:
This is Isabella. She is our first Grey ...

Dogs are great. I have 2 great ones: brothers too, Newfies. Unlike your dog, they don't like heat. Unlike your dog, they have heavy long coats and love the snow and cold. But underneath, they're still all dog, unconditional loving dog, I'm sure like your dog.

It is not possible to have a relationship with a person (read 'female person', if you're inclined that way) like you can have with dogs. And, to try to be fair, I'm sure many women readers out there would agree likewise about their relationship with their dog differs from that with a man. But I'm not gong there.

What I'm talking about are those qualities found in a dog that you just can't find in a woman, hence:

WHY DOGS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN

A dog doesn’t care if you ever invite its inlaws over.

You never have to wait for a dog; they’re always ready to go 24/7.

A dog doesn’t spend hours a day on its hair.

Dogs understand you occasionally have to raise your voice to get your point across.

Dogs like it when you leave your things all around on the floor in the house.

Dogs like beer.

The later you are coming home, the happier your dog is to see you.

A dog doesn’t care if you accidently call it by another dog’s name.

Dogs like heavy petting in public.

When a dog gets old and starts to snap at you incessantly, you can shoot it.

Aye,
Marty

Nice puppy!

Once my inside kitty decides to move on I think a mini greyhoud or a fullsize will be in my future.

MrWinkey said:
Nice puppy!

Once my inside kitty decides to move on I think a mini greyhoud or a fullsize will be in my future.

They are truly wonderful animals - incredibly dopey, but that is part of their charm. We never taught ours to do much beyond come when called (although they generally follow you everywhere) and he developed Pavlovian responses to things like seeing his leash, or hearing cans of clams opening on the can opener. (they like a bit of clam juice on dog food apparently...)

The picture shows them doing what they do 99.9% of the time - laying around the house. It is very surprising to most people how much time they spend resting.

Yea yea I know it's off topic, but they are great animals...

-Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.