Grizzly wood insert HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly

Hearth Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Richmond, Va
Have a Grizzly insert in the basement that has been a wonderful means to heat the area and provide secondary warming to the house and my wood working area (old garage). Now the blow is making sounds that suggest animals may have tried to set up shop in the base of the insert. The company is now out of business. It is likely that the blower system will need replacing. A summary of symptoms is failure to of the blower to start when switch is set to "cold" setting. Delay on thermal setting as well. When it does start the blower "screeches" and has two sounds: One suggesting a bearing problem and the other a "binding" problem. When the insert does come up to high heat, the blower works. HELP?

Grizzly Owner

Take the motor out abd bring it toa gringer store to try matching up a replacement

Depending on how hard it is to get to, I'd be inclined to see if the motor would respond well to a bit of TLC like cleaning and lubrication before trying to replace it. It might just be a case of crud building up in the blower housing that is making it stick....

I wouldn't go nuts over it, but why spend when you don't have to?

Gooserider

I have a Derco Grizzly insert myself. This is our sole source of heat so when the thermal protector on the blower started shutting off the blower I needed to fix it fast. I took the blower out cleaned and oiled it. That solved the problem for now. I also took it to my local motor rebuild shop. The owner said it would not be worth trying to rebuild. He said if I could find anythign in the Grainger catalog he could order it for me.

I did find an exact match in the grainger cat. The Item# is 4C754
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611630890

The only thing is this is a single speed motor so you will probably want to buy a motor speed control. The motor rebuilder sold me one for $12.
Hope this helps

Sounds about right - Grainger is a wonderful place, I just wish they would sell to us mere mortals.... :coolsmirk:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.