Ground chain wont cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ss="spellchecked_word">DiscoInferno</SPAN> said:
It's the new double-sided one that's $40. Bailey's still has the original (where you manually flip the files between filing the right and left cutters) for $20. It's very easy to do, can't see any reason to essentially buy two copies glued together.

Even 20.00 for a bad @ss file scares me.

Really the only advantage I see over the cheaper metal-plate units that clip to the round file is that it does the rakers at the same time. And even there - the depth is fixed, and the only angle mine has a reference line for is 35 degrees. Most of my chains are 25, so I wind up freehanding the angle. It's definitely not for everyone.

Do the teeth look different when sharpened by an electric grinder with a wheel vs a round file or cutter, seems like I had one sharpened a few years ago and the tooth looked less rounded where it had been sharpened. It was one of the sharpest chains I ever had.

DiscoInferno said:
Really the only advantage I see over the cheaper metal-plate units that clip to the round file is that it does the rakers at the same time. And even there - the depth is fixed, and the only angle mine has a reference line for is 35 degrees. Most of my chains are 25, so I wind up freehanding the angle. It's definitely not for everyone.

Yea I think after enough strokes behind one you start getting the idea, and at 20.00 per it should speed up that learning curve a bit! lol

Well, there's no reason to buy more than one. It takes standard round files and replacement flat files are available.

DiscoInferno said:
Well, there's no reason to buy more than one. It takes standard round files and replacement flat files are available.

Got a link for it?

True, you still need to manually round the raker corners. Maybe that will be the third-gen model. :)

DiscoInferno said:
True, you still need to manually round the raker corners. Maybe that will be the third-gen model. :)

That I would be all in!

oldspark said:
Do the teeth look different when sharpened by an electric grinder with a wheel vs a round file or cutter, seems like I had one sharpened a few years ago and the tooth looked less rounded where it had been sharpened. It was one of the sharpest chains I ever had.

Depends on the shape of the wheel I suppose. When I first file a chain after using my cheapo HF grinder it's clear they have somewhat mismatched profiles as you can see low spots that the file doesn't hit after just a few strokes. But I was using the wheel that came with it, which isn't really the right wheel for 3/8 chain. I haven't noticed a huge difference in sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.