Ground Cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So I need to do something around the pool area and backyard this year, between the two dogs and kids it is useless to try and keep the grass growing. The pool is one of those above ground walmart special deals, the spot doubles as the fire pit area for the off season. So the area around the pool tends to be dirt, between the pool and house is around 20' and there's two small sheds against the house so hi traffic area with little grass. Then there's to two dog paths to either side gate, and the path out to the garden in back that get worn down to dirt also. So I'm thinking about solutions and asking for ideas, as always money is a consideration. I do have access to around 500 brick shaped pavers, but that seems like a ton of work, other than that I'm considering trim and shredded bark. So thoughts gang? Thanks.

Sounds like a good place for the pavers to me. If you want something less laborious how about patio stones? The base prep will be just as much work, but 16X16" or 18X18" are quick to lay (and heavy).
Mulch like bark or chips around a pool would track crud into the house and pool I'd think, and who wants to get out of the pool & walk on shredded bark in bare, wet feet?

midwestcoast said:
Sounds like a good place for the pavers to me. If you want something less laborious how about patio stones? The base prep will be just as much work, but 16X16" or 18X18" are quick to lay (and heavy).
Mulch like bark or chips around a pool would track crud into the house and pool I'd think, and who wants to get out of the pool & walk on shredded bark in bare, wet feet?

+1 . . . I know my wife and I have talked about using some pavers or similar stonework to create a patio near our pool . . . right now we tend to track grass clippings into the pool and into the house.

I would go for pavers. You'll have to be picky on natural cover because of the chlorine in the pool.

fv

If I go pavers, go with the natural lay of the land? Float them in sand, correct? Ah man, here I thought I could relax this weekend!

Smooth round stone. Our local quarry will let you shovel as much as you want into your truck for $10. Worst case is you have a really good base for pavers later on.

Maybe a combination of pavers and bark mulch (or stone)? 500 pavers may only be enough for a walkway with mulch on either side. The kids (and maybe dogs) would use the pathway rather than the mulch if installed in the right location. Maybe the pathway could have an enlarged section for the winter season fire pit so you don't have to put it in the mulched/stone area? You'll want to avoid the mulch getting tracked into the pool if you use it.

I have both a pavers section and 1/4" stone (top cover) paths. The pavers are a lot less maintenance. Although we love the look of the gravel, over time grass and weed seeds start sprouting which means a lot of weeding, roundup or propane burner clean up to keep it looking good.

Thanks all, great ideas, just what I was looking for. My concern with stones is that they seem to wind up where you don't want them (in the lawn), and they are just too darn tempting for twin 9 year old boys! I'll need to think on that a bit. So I'm thinking pavers from the bottom of the deck steps to the pool edge and having that be a larger area for space for the ladder and a couple chairs, then the paths to the gates in shredded bark. As far as the mulch goes, isn't the shedded bark nicer on the feet and stay put better? What are your thoughts on edging the paths? I ask that and I'm back to not needing edging if I use pavers darn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.