GT battery dead....need new

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
So, for a while now, the GT battery has been having trouble holding a charge and I now can't get the tractor to start even when doing a 60 amp jump from the charger.
Charger tells me the battery is full, but it barely has enough oomph to turn the motor even once.
Original is only 235 CCA, and I'd like to get something better.The original has been marginal from the git go.
I can maybe get one at the local Auto Value (I'll need to check), or Wally's house, but I'd like some opinions first.
I need the tractor back. I use the darn thing year round, and I'm getting behinder on some stuff w/o it.
Wood hauling comes to mind.
Any ideas?

Most of those batteries last, at best, 3 or 4 years. I got 5 out of my newest, and was pleasantly surprised. Vibration and heat are battery killers, too.

If you have the room get a car battery for it. Just be careful not to burn up the starter or wiring when it's really cold.... don't ask me how I know that.

No room. The tray/frame is made for this sized battery. I haven't looked into redoing it.
heat seeker, I wondered about that, since I got this tractor back in '07 just about this time of year.
It's always seemed to be lacking though.
I guess it's due, eh?

Yeah, it's due. You got a good run out of that battery. While you're at it, check the ground cable where it attaches to the frame. Check for tightness and cleanliness, since a bad ground can cause all kind of weird problems.

I'm a little concerned that it wouldn't start even with the 60 amp jump. Maybe a lot of that was going into the battery instead of the starter.

But either way, I think you're ready for a new battery. I think most of them are only guaranteed for 1 year, so what does that tell you?

Is that thing a Briggs V-twin?

I wasn't aware of the warranty...good info.
There's no corrosion. I'll check the connection, but I doubt that's the problem. Probably pick one up this afternoon.
I checked and I got the tractor very early in '08, not '07. Still, past it's prime.

I've been thinking of modding my battery tray to hold something bigger. My tractor uses a U1R battery. I got the biggest CCA one I could find and still it's not enough when it's cold out to crank the motor. I usually end up having to stick a heater on the engine to warm it up some. Real fun screwing with it when all I want to do is get the driveway cleaned out.

nate, that's been my problem for a while now. Go out to the shed, and it won't start, so I spend too much time dinkin' around. When it still won't start.......well, it upsets me.>>
So, took mom to the dentist and got a new battery while we were out. 300 CCA and put it in the tractor as soon as I got back.
Cranked right up.:cool: Where's the happy dance smiley?
Now I can get some crap done.

maybe you need a heated garage..........................My 3 bays are and the wifes 3 are not. hehehe
had to replace both mine this year . Was switching the good one between the JD and Kubota and it finally gave up.
Ouch batterys have gotten expensive

I have a pole barn with a 92% furnace, fully insulated too, but it's too dang expensive to run the thing for long.>>
It may get changed out for a wood stove.:cool:
Probably could have gotten it for less at Wally's, but the new one out the door was about a wash if I count the gas to drive the 75 miles to Wally's and back home. I helped support a local shop to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.