1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Guess how much wood? (Update message #25 has final answer)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Slow1, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Well - FINALLY I got a chance to finish stacking the rest of the pile. I had to cut a good bit (about 1/2 of the seasoned wood) so that it will fit in my stove... I had no idea it would be that much of it, but heck, it got me a chance to practice on the chainsaw for a while and that is worth something eh? Ok - rationalization.

So the final score (pun intended) is:

Green wood: 1.25 cords
    Seasoned: 1.1 cord
    Total: 2.35 cords

Once I factored in all my $costs (gas, bribes to helpers but ignoring my time) I paid $187.70/cord - so not a bad deal as I rather enjoyed the time spent 'playing' with the woodpile (as I think my wife looks at it). I'll post pictures in a bit if folks are interested - Looking at the piles I can see I learned a lot between the first and second. I thought the first (green) looked pretty good until I built the second one and now the first looks pretty sloppy to me. Ahh.. no, I won't be re stacking just for that reason :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CTBurner

CTBurner Member

Loc:
    SE CT

You are fortunet you can live with a lousy stack, sometimes i have to rebuild 2 or 3 times lol
  3. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Given that I plan to let the wood season for two years I have a strong feeling I won't be able to stand to look at it that long... especially as I know I'll get even better at stacking as my skills improve over time eh? I'll get better and faster too I bet as time goes on.
  4. Bubbavh

Bubbavh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NJ Piney
    x3
  5. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    No final pics?
  6. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Ok - finally pictures (takes time you know...).

4 pictures - two of each stack. I think it should be pretty obvious which is the green and which is the seasoned wood. The seasoned stack is in the original location where the pile was.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Huh..the smaller individual piles are way more pleasing to the eye, they work well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.