Guess the stove - part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Here are a couple interesting stoves for your holiday enjoyment. The first one should ring a bell to old timers. The cookstove is a real beauty. Can you name that stove?

Attachments

• old_stove3t.jpg
    old_stove3t.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 428
  • old_cookstove.jpg
    old_cookstove.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 416
Trailblazer? That isn't the name listed for it, but perhaps it sold as this on the east coast? Isn't the Trailblazer made by Appalacian Stoves? If yes, I'm looking for another manufacturer.

No takers eh?

The stove on the left is a Treemont. (Though as Craig pointed out, maybe this is a west coast name?) The beautiful cookstove on the right is for sale. It's an antique Belgian LFB which stands for Les Foundaries Bruxelles.

Hey BG,

Other than keeping you warm during the extended power outage, how's the new stove working out?

It's working well Eric. We have it's operation down pretty well by now. I added a rear damper and gave the short rear exit run a generous uphill slope. Smoke out the door is minimal now as long as one opens the door slowly. The alleged low heat output has turned out to be more a matter of the new location than the stove. Before most of the heat stayed downstairs. Now about 50% of the heat seems to head upstairs. We have a large open stairwell that is acting like a natural plenum. As a result the upstairs is about the same temp as downstairs when the stove is going. Before it was about 5 degrees cooler. The house is remarkably even in temperature now. However, I am going to do some tests with a temporary air dam at the ceiling to see if I can alter the heat flow upstairs. When the temps start heading below about 30 it's too much work to keep the downstairs warm. And I like it a bit cooler in the bedrooms. If I had my druthers, I would still prefer to have a top-loader or soapstone, but close clearances and my wife's aesthetics. made the Castine the best fit.

I was hoping to write up a review soon, but have too many things going on. I'm flying back to NY on Friday. Maybe I can write up a review on the plane?

If you're flying to NYC you'll probably pass right over my house (albeit at 30,000 feet). Look for the smoke plume!

Flying into HPN (White Plains) and heading north to Pleasant Valley. I imagine from 30,000 ft. your woodpile will still be visible :).

Status
Not open for further replies.