Guess who's coming to dinner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a neigbor complain that my wood stacks attracted woodchucks and snakes... Funny thing is the only woodchucks I've seen this summer were in HER apple tree. Also just got done moving neary every stick of firewood on my property, not a woodchuck or snake did I find. I have had a problem with woodchucks under my storage shed (not woodshed) but they don't live long for some reason....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I recently had a neigbor complain that my wood stacks attracted woodchucks and snakes... Funny thing is the only woodchucks I've seen this summer were in HER apple tree. Also just got done moving neary every stick of firewood on my property, not a woodchuck or snake did I find. I have had a problem with woodchucks under my storage shed (not woodshed) but they don't live long for some reason....

Snakes here like the stone wall just outside my patio door. We named the mama snake Brazen as she had no fear of us whatsoever. The baby snakes were around for only a few days; I have a bad feeling about them - well bad for them, I wasn't really looking forward to having a herd of snakes sunning on my patio...

We tried and tried to get rid of woodchucks in our house in NJ - they'd leave the garden till it was almost ready to pick then mow the entire plant to the ground. Sharing was not in their vocabulary. That was the first time I ever seriously thought about killing an animal. I get annoyed just thinking about them, LOL!

Nothing good about a wood chuck. We had one wipe out of fenced in garden last year. I tried to shoot the bastard with a pellet gun be never got it. Funny thing is I can ping chipmunks from 35 yards, but not the wood chuck. They are supper sensitive to sound and sight. This year I used rat poison to kill it. It worked because we have had a full harvest this year!

Anyone ever see a golden woodchuck? I got one loves to eat the alfala.

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Switch to a 308 Win / 30-06, and be sure the job's done right. That is, unless you actually want something left to eat out of it.

22mag hollow point is the preferred round here, cheap & accurate. A C

Snakes here like the stone wall just outside my patio door. We named the mama snake Brazen as she had no fear of us whatsoever. The baby snakes were around for only a few days; I have a bad feeling about them - well bad for them, I wasn't really looking forward to having a herd of snakes sunning on my patio...

We tried and tried to get rid of woodchucks in our house in NJ - they'd leave the garden till it was almost ready to pick then mow the entire plant to the ground. Sharing was not in their vocabulary. That was the first time I ever seriously thought about killing an animal. I get annoyed just thinking about them, LOL!

Around here we've never seen a woodchuck wait on the crop. No sooner than it is up, here come the whistle pigs. They don't last long here and the same for coons and chipmunks. My wife takes care of all the chipmunks and has gotten 31 so far. She is a good shot.

Reactions: Lewiston
I was golfing in the spring at my home course and on hole #4 I shanked my appraoch shot and it flew over to the 5th tee. When the ball hit the gound it looked like it hit something and bounced off, my golf partner asked what I hit an I said, "dont know, lets go look", as I walked up to my ball lying to the side of my ball is a small woodchuck, as I approached it it came to, looked at me and scurried off into the woods.. True story, I just knocked him cold for a minute or so. If I had a gun from that range I bet I would have missed him, me and my father used to hunt them with 22's and they are sensitive to any sound and movement and were hard to get a clean shot at.

If I had a gun from that range I bet I would have missed him, me and my father used to hunt them with 22's and they are sensitive to any sound and movement and were hard to get a clean shot at.
M&P15-22 works great for moving targets. :)

I had a pair of them wipe almost a 1/4 acre of watermelons last year. The little SOBs are fast too. I finally set up a pop up deer blind and waited for them. CCI Minimag .22 LR hollow points for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.