Gypcrete pourover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coolidge

Hearth Supporter
Dec 16, 2008
Maine
Looking at doing a pour over in a new building. Would pex Al pex work better the he pex in the gypcrete.

I’m looking into a gypcrete pour over in my log home . I plan to use 1x2 sleepers to attach hardwood flooring to then pour the gypcrete over 1/2” pex with oxygen barrier . This is about a year into the future before I get to that point in the project.

What are you pouring over? Mine is over 2x12 TGI’s on 16 centers with 1.25 of Advantec glued and nailed on the first and 2x10 on 12 centers in the bathrooms.
I have hePEX in my first floor pour and second floor bathrooms. Don’t forget you must install insulation below the RFH.
Best damn thing ever IMO.

My floors are 2x10 I joists on 16” centers with 3/4” T&G plywood, my basement floor was poured with the 1/2” pex tubing on top of 6 mil plastic and 2” of polyisocyanurate foam board and 5” concrete. The basement floor will always be heated .

I’m looking into a gypcrete pour over in my log home . I plan to use 1x2 sleepers to attach hardwood flooring to then pour the gypcrete over 1/2” pex with oxygen barrier . This is about a year into the future before I get to that point in the project.
Hi Mark
Wood flooring isn't the best choice for over heated floors.
At least that was the general recomendation when i was looking at putting heat under my wood floors

Hi Mark
Wood flooring isn't the best choice for over heated floors.
At least that was the general recomendation when i was looking at putting heat under my wood floors
You can use real 3/4 wood but it's not really recommended as you've noted. Engineered is the best choice if you must have wood. I did the LR and DR in wood and tile everywhere else on the first floor. The first thing people want to do is take off their shoes in the winter so make sure you have clean socks, no holes or stinky feet!! :p

I was told to limit my floor temp to 105 Maximum but I did bump it up to 110 without issues. FWIW I used Mirage in Santos Mahogany.

Think heavy rugs are also a big no-no.

My heat should be no warmer than 110 , usually around 100. The wood floor that I will put in my house came from trees on my property that I cut on my own bandsaw mill . I agree, not the best situation but this is flooring that I will make is from my standing trees to finished flooring . The kitchen /dining room will be all tile . Small area rugs of course, I hate wall to wall carpeting.

My heat should be no warmer than 110 , usually around 100. The wood floor that I will put in my house came from trees on my property that I cut on my own bandsaw mill . I agree, not the best situation but this is flooring that I will make is from my standing trees to finished flooring . The kitchen /dining room will be all tile . Small area rugs of course, I hate wall to wall carpeting.
Helped a childhood friend do the same with his floors and trim.
Lot of laughs. Destroyed the beer budget. Nobody was hurt. Stories forever!!

My log home will incorporate a lot of the building materials here on site for that down home rustic feeling and look. Tremendous amount of memories.

I cut my 1" flooring from beams salvaged from the original bridges from the Alaska Highway.
It is all Fir I ended up with 5 1/2" planks that i had a mill plane and add toung and grove with glue groves on the back.
I also used a lot of recycled wood in my log house,tried to make it look like it's been around as long as the trees.

^^ That sounds really cool. Any picture you can share? ^^

I've done one room in the house here with in-floor heat and hardwood. 2nd year and haven't had any issues. It's 4"of closed cell Styrofoam then 3/4ply then hepex imbedded in 6" wide aluminum heat spreaders between 1/2ply then the hardwood floor.

FYI, the hydronics guru John Seigenthaler has good technical reasons for not installing hard wood over radiant flooring. It can work but the supply temp has to be higher as the flooring has R value. Higher supply temp equals lower overall system efficiency. have seen other experts recommend a floating installation where the flooring is not attached to the subfloor so that it can expand and contract independently. Many of the laminate systems were designed for that type of install but given the intended source of flooring my guess its not an option.

^^ That sounds really cool. Any picture you can share? ^^
Here are a few, recycled doors ,all the beams you see were salvaged ,i used old fence boards for trim around the windows outside.All my inside trim,door frames i made from the salvaged bridgetimbers out of the planks that were to bad for flooring.I did all the finish work inside and all the metal work inside as well.The lamps came from the same pipeline complex that i tore down.The beams and all the copper tubing and fittings in my heating system come from that complex as well.The CI rads were salvage as well. I have over 75% of the house is recycled or diverted materials.I got lucky on the drywall it was headed to the dump,it was leftovers from a big building in town.I paid $5.00 a sheet for 12' 5/8 fire guard.Got 2 full lifts that had been sitting outside kinda covered.The supply company would not take it back.

IMG_4053.JPG IMG_4105.JPG IMG_3720.JPG 20141118_131741.jpg 20141118_132007.jpg

Here are a few, recycled doors ,all the beams you see were salvaged ,i used old fence boards for trim around the windows outside.All my inside trim,door frames i made from the salvaged bridgetimbers out of the planks that were to bad for flooring.I did all the finish work inside and all the metal work inside as well.The lamps came from the same pipeline complex that i tore down.The beams and all the copper tubing and fittings in my heating system come from that complex as well.The CI rads were salvage as well. I have over 75% of the house is recycled or diverted materials.I got lucky on the drywall it was headed to the dump,it was leftovers from a big building in town.I paid $5.00 a sheet for 12' 5/8 fire guard.Got 2 full lifts that had been sitting outside kinda covered.The supply company would not take it back.

View attachment 288259 View attachment 288260 View attachment 288261 View attachment 288262 View attachment 288263
Very nice!!!

Very nice!!!
It was a labor of love...
But it didn't fix her issues so in the end she left.My daughter took her side and i havn't heard from my daughter in 2 1/2 years.
Now it's a bittersweet place that i live.
Fingers crossed that one day my daughter grows up,maybe then her mind will open a bit and i will get some contact with her back.
Bit of a derail....