H&G Escape 35 Break-In Procedure Necessary?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RMcElar

Nov 10, 2020
New Jersey
So I have my new Escape 35 unit and reading the Break in Procedure it says to run for 3-4 hours on high heat, high fan. Let cool, clean glass the. Run again on high heat, fan off for 12 HOURS?!?! Is the second 12 hour burn time on high heat necessary? Seems to be a little excessive and hot as the 3 hour burn on high the room was getting toasty.

image below of my initial burn in. Yes I know missing surround. Waiting on a smaller size to fit.
04A5DB5A-1474-4BE4-A92D-BF9B8542607B.jpeg

If you can still smell odors from the burning off of oils, paint & adhesives used during the manufacturing process,
then you hafta kept burning it on high. Once those odors stop, you're good to go. Then again, when you install
the surround you may get some smells from that paint curing.

If you can still smell odors from the burning off of oils, paint & adhesives used during the manufacturing process,
then you hafta kept burning it on high. Once those odors stop, you're good to go. Then again, when you install
the surround you may get some smells from that paint curing.
Daksy, You have been a phenomenal help. Did you see the image I added to first post? How does the flame look? Do you recommend anything to get more yellow flames?

Natural gas & LP burn blue, & in order to represent a wood fire, the ATF mixture is adjusted at the air shutter.
If you close it, the flames will get more yellow (& more "dirty").
If you close it too much, the flames will get orange with black tips & your glass will soot up.
Unfortunately, to access the air shutter is a chore. You have to remove the logs & embers. Maybe the grate.
Then there are at least 7 screws holding the burner tray, & 1 holding the burner pan. The air shutter is on the tube
attached to the burner pan & you will have to loosen a screw to adjust the opening.
Another option is to add more rockwool embers close to the burner ports to hide the blue flames...