Hack...berry!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I've been clearing an atv path that has a lot of Hackberry, it's an interesting tree with it's cork like bark and how it prolifically sprouts from it's roots. Looking it up on the MDC website, it states, “In 2009, a group of respected botanists called the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group determined that Hackberries are actually more closely related to cannabis and hops, so these are all now in the Cannabaceae, or hemp family”. https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/common-hackberry

So does that mean Hackberry should be smoked, or brewed? Maybe both! LOL

Hackberry comes in at a respectable 21.2 btu rating.

1616214596987.jpeg

1616214430754.png

Last edited:
Not a big fan of hackberry. Makes heat but that is about where my fondness ends.

Reactions: MoDoug and JimBear
Not a big fan of hackberry. Makes heat but that is about where my fondness ends.
I'm not a fan either, it's an interesting overgrown weed, that I never knew was in the cannabis and hop family.

Reactions: JimBear
I just got ~ 1 cord of hackberry. Some 20" tall rounds split easy - nibbling at the circumference w/ a maul. Some are like concrete - they
become 10" tall little slabs. When the scrounge is easy, I'll take about anything - fellow had a JD 1025R w/ FEL and dumped the rounds in the bed for 2 trips.

IMG_20210307_143443724.jpg

I just got ~ 1 cord of hackberry. Some 20" tall rounds split easy - nibbling at the circumference w/ a maul. Some are like concrete - they
become 10" tall little slabs. When the scrounge is easy, I'll take about anything - fellow had a JD 1025R w/ FEL and dumped the rounds in the bed for 2 trips.
If I had any of good size, I'd keep it and add it to the wood pile. On this atv trail I'm clearing out, there's some big trees which I'm leaving alone, but they send out shallow roots, and I've had to clear a lot of small trees that sprout up from the roots. I appreciate how everything in nature has it's own way of keeping it's species going. I've enjoyed this little project.

I found some logs the power company had left down the street. So I split them. It was all right. Heat is heat, but hackberry -- or sugar berry as it's called some places -- isn't high on my list.

We have a big hackberry/sugar berry tree in our back yard. We’ve left it alone because it does provide some nice shade, but we have an oak we need to take down, and it might tangle in the hackberry, so it might come down. We’ll burn it if it does.

We haven’t seen spread from the roots, but what we have noticed is that the back yard fence is lined with volunteers. The birds love the berries, eat them, and plant them with fertilizer. We‘ve cut a number out (they’re small), and those things put up some amazing suckers at the stumps. We lop them off, and they grow again. We’ll keep at it.