Hackberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna1

Feb 26, 2014
Richmond VA
First off. Hello to all! Been reading here for a couple weeks and decided it was time to join. I'm a newbie at best. I have an open fireplace and plan to put an insert in this summer or fall( just bought this house and never had a fireplace. Also have never been so fricken cold in my life!) anywho my father in law has a tree he is taking down. Said its a Hackberry tree. Makes a hell of a mess all year and just tired of dealing with it. Are these good to burn ? Thanks in advance John

Not bad to burn but I had a heck of a time hand splitting the pieces I got. Its on my no grab list now. It along with sycamore.

Any wood is good to burn, Hackberry included. I think Hackberry falls approximately in the middle of the road as far as density goes. If you don't have a winter's worth of wood stacked and seasoning right now, I wouldn't be picky. Take any wood you can get.

The trick of the trade with that stuff is get it cut into rounds now. Give it a few days to freeze up good, and split it frozen. It worked very well for me with my Fiskars ax. I was told it will burn very well. What it splits like unfrozen. ...... Well the guys before me described it well.

<< I have acres of the stuff thus my name.

It's a decent firewood but don't leave it on the ground too long or it will rot quickly. Some trees split better than others.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.