1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Had a mess to clean up

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by basod, Feb 10, 2013.

1. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Had three sweetgums dropped. Taking over too much sunlight in the yard and the dang spikey balls aren't pleasant on bare feet in the grass. Not the greatest of firewood, but it's right there in the yard so.....
    A few picks of the progress

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    Nice looking wood to me and free and handy so is good. Whats the door for? Is that the door to your woodshed? ;)
  3. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    It's the target door, used to be leaning against the gum trees the middle tree had a pretty good notch shot out of it - another reason I wanted them taken down
    milleo likes this.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Looks as if you have some fun work piled up there :)

(Target tree ? )Some of the rounds will have some lead in them?
    Shouldn't hurt the chain but not sure burning it is a good thing ;)
  5. bigbarf48

bigbarf48 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Have fun splitting that gum I took down a sweetgum and spli it up last year and it was a pain. Although the difficulty splitting is about outweighed by the fact that it was in your own yard I'd say. Also remember not to over season sweetgum as it rots fast. Happy burning!
  6. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    If you can shoot there should be only one small round with lead in it :)
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

mix that 'gum in with your good stuff for shoulder burns and quick start-ups. Every good woodstack has some softer stuff in it.
    I have lots and lots of silver maple in my stacks. That's what I used pretty much this entire heating season for daytime burning. Silver maple and ash during the day, white oak and locust at night.......
    Jags likes this.
  8. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Never burned any gum. From what folks say about splitting I don't know if I will. We have lots and lots of silver maple around here so I think I'll stick with that for shoulder seasons and mixing. But if it was in my yard....yeah, I'd most likely process and burn it, but first I'd borrow the neighbors splitter!;)
  9. WoodpileOCD

WoodpileOCD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NC
    Hope you have hydraulics... ;)
  10. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    It's all split except the stumps - storms yesterday cut the work day short, and looks as if its going to rain all day today:(
    When halving the big rounds on the splitter the opposite ends open up in nearly perfect zig-zags
    Working them down into smaller pieces I found it'll separate fairly clean on the growth rings.

And yes the chain goes through FMJ rounds(your feel a little tug) no dulling noticed - those rounds are down in the dump pile
  11. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    That is one flavor of tree that I have never burned. I agree with Scotty...every good wood stack will have some of the lesser woods in it. Shoulder season, quick starts, burning down a coal bed, whatever....
  12. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Amen to that. Gum is worse than elm.