Had a tree dropped...hello project!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Well, I has a 150 foot maple dropped that was threatening my house. My wife laughed when I said, "I'll have it cut spit and stacked in two weekends."

Well. A month later I'm still at it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375909553.854749.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375909624.656880.jpg

Will it ever end?

wow! I guess there is no point in killing yourself trying to get it all done. I personally like to enjoy the process (i know im crazy). How much wood you think you got so far out of that?

I'm splitting by hand might be why it's taking longer :)

I'm guessing two cord so far. The hardest part, the arborist left it in one massive pile at my request. So, I have to dig the good stuff out from the millions of tiny leafy maple branches! Next time I'll have then haul the branches away..

Did I mention it was chocked i ivy from top to bottom? Remove ivy from wood, throw in pile, saw, split, rinse, repeat.

I think it's time to rent a chipper...

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I'm splitting by hand might be why it's taking longer :)

I'm guessing two cord so far. The hardest part, the arborist left it in one massive pile at my request. So, I have to dig the good stuff out from the millions of tiny leafy maple branches! Next time I'll have then haul the branches away..

Did I mention it was chocked i ivy from top to bottom? Remove ivy from wood, throw in pile, saw, split, rinse, repeat.

I think it's time to rent a chipper...
Think of the exercise your getting Dustin. Working the biceps and abs.;)

We dropped 2 Ash, and 2 Maple around last October....then the same weekend, and tree company dropped of a load of logs....still got about a cord to split, and this weekend I'm renting a chipper....but the area was clear by March

You can see what it looks like today.....and the rounds left in the back

Oh BTW,it might be easier to take off all the branches first and get them out of your way. Then your not cutting through a jungle and stepping on branches. Just a thought. Been there.;)

That brush always looks easier when there are no leaves on it.

By Ivy, if you mean poison ivy, do not run that through a chipper, or you will be in a world of hurt.

For sure

By Ivy, if you mean poison ivy, do not run that through a chipper, or you will be in a world of hurt. !!!

Huge tree!

And don't burn the Ivy either. Find somewhere to dump it & let it RIP (rot in pieces).

By Ivy, if you mean poison ivy, do not run that through a chipper, or you will be in a world of hurt.

... and don't burn it, either! DAMHIKT

Status
Not open for further replies.