Had some maple's taken down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
After a hard winter, I noticed that the large sugar maples directly behind the house had some large cracks in the crotches that support the large lead branches. So at first I was going to gather some friends and we were going to take the tree's down by ourselves on a weekend. Then I had a moment of clarity and realized that these tree's were a little to close to the house and with the crotches having large cracks they could break at anytime. So I called a tree service to remove them, and I'm glad I did. Now I got some splitting to do, fyi the larger rounds measure between 28" - 33"

345.JPG 349.JPG 346.JPG 348.JPG 350.JPG 351.JPG 352.JPG

Reactions: Soundchasm
Sad to see those big old trees have to go but it does look like you made a good decision. That V crotch was waiting for the smallest excuse to fail. And it all will be good firewood.

Dang, there goes the chance to see another tree cutting gone bad vid on you tube!

Seriously, glad you chose the safer path! Hope the service charge wasn't too bad

Good job on the " Moment of clarity" . I seem to be having a lot more of those as I age.

The sugar maples around here are about the only things NOT falling down all by themselves. It is a great firewood. Very sorry to see the trees go, but am jealous of the score.

Thanks all, got one tree split up and stacked today, green wood makes you work harder lol.. old timer next door popped by and was happy to see then down, he saw the cracks also and knew they were becoming danger tree's. He also told me a little history on them, They were planted in 1962 by some folks that took seedlings from Rutherford NJ, The miss's would come up here on the weekends and sit under them to read during the hot summer, they never got a chance to build on the property but they always loved coming up here to picnic. So it took about 55 years for the tree's to grow that much, I think that's pretty cool stuff

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.