Had to finally turn the electric heat up this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabby

Nov 13, 2007
Ohio
well it got cold enough this weekend. it was about 0 to under 20 outside this weekend and the upstairs was kinda cold. The englander 30 is having a hard time keeping up in the split foyer house. it's nice and warm in the basement but upstairs not to so much. if it' 20 or above, it does really good. our electric bill was cheap last month. but the weekend i turned the heat upstairs on. feels much better and nice and warm. i think last night the stove was cranking 750 on the stove top and the up stairs was about 70. not to bad, but just wish i didn't have to run the heat upstairs.

Franks said:
What kind of burn times were you getting at that surface temp?

well i was getting only 3 maybe 4 hours with about 5 pieces of red oak that's not fully dry. yesterday i brought some my big splits of cherry in. and it last a little longer than that.

You'll either need to do a larger stove (risk blowing your self out of the room the stove is in, though), get a second stove, or move to a wood furnace if you want to stop using the electric heat.

Oh i'm really not complaining about haveing to turn the heat on, just don't want to. don't think you can get any bigger then the englander 30. i mean, if it 25 or 30 outside, it will run you out both up and downstairs. we love it.

crabby said:
well it got cold enough this weekend. it was about 0 to under 20 outside this weekend and the upstairs was kinda cold. The englander 30 is having a hard time keeping up in the split foyer house. it's nice and warm in the basement but upstairs not to so much. if it' 20 or above, it does really good. our electric bill was cheap last month. but the weekend i turned the heat upstairs on. feels much better and nice and warm. i think last night the stove was cranking 750 on the stove top and the up stairs was about 70. not to bad, but just wish i didn't have to run the heat upstairs.

Were those stove temps with or wothout a fan? I cant get mine over 550 with the fan on high unless I run it wide open and throw wood in every hour and a half. BTW the fan makes a big difference moving the heat.

Yeah, you wont find many stoves with larger than a 3.5 cubic foot firebox. I used a similar stove, the 3.4 Enerzone. Your getting typical results from a big steel EPA Box stove. The only difference is I dont think your stove has a blower option, which other stoves have. That "may" help create more convection heat which is what could move to the upstairs easier. Have you tried playing around with box fans, just for kicks?

Franks said:
Yeah, you wont find many stoves with larger than a 3.5 cubic foot firebox. I used a similar stove, the 3.4 Enerzone. Your getting typical results from a big steel EPA Box stove. The only difference is I dont think your stove has a blower option, which other stoves have. That "may" help create more convection heat which is what could move to the upstairs easier. Have you tried playing around with box fans, just for kicks?

I did and it brought the room temperature up by nearly 10 degrees.

yeah i had a tower fan in the corner beside my old stove the last few years. it worked, the fan took a crap and i haven't gotten one yet. yeah the englangder does have a spot on the back of the heat shield to bolt it on. i plan on buying one just don't feel like spending 200 bucks on it. i will next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.