Had to take the Huskee 22 ton splitter back the same day i purchased it!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
Today i finally made the plunge and went to TSC to purchase a huskee 22 ton splitter. They had one in stock but it was not assembled so they told me they would assemble it and give me a call when its done. I went home and an hour later i got a call it was ready. Got there the guy started it up and it it ran good. I asked him if all the fluids were filled and he said "yep". Took it home check the motor oil and it was right on the full mark. So i figured the hydraulic fluid was also filled also and did not check it. I ran it for about 20 mins splitting some nasty oak, walnut, and locust crotchs that I had set aside to be split with a splitter. It split them great and blasted right though them. Then i gathered up some pieces of sugar maple that i wanted to split down smaller and got to the last piece went forward to split got though the piece and went to retract the ram and i heard a nasty sound and the ram would not retract. I shut it down and let it sit for a min, started it and it did the same thing. Great i was thinking. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was just on the end of stick :grrr: :eek:hh: . I looked around some more and found hydraulic fluid leaking from the return line on the valve, filter, and the drain plug. The drain plug was very loose i turned it a full turn until it got tight. So I don't know if it leaked out that much fluid or if it was never filled. I was using the splitter in the grass and was not able to find the fluid that might have leaked out.

It does not end there every single hose clamp was loose and the one wheel was installed backwards so the bearing was exposed and no axle seal was protecting it. And the dust cap on the wheel was dented in very badly.

So i called up TSC they said to bring it back. It is still there and i am going to pick it up in the morning. He said he would give me a brand new one but they don't have any more in stock and i would have to wait a week. They are giving me 15 percent off.

Do you think there is any damage that was done from it running low in fluid? Should i be concerned about any long term effects from this mishap? I would rather not wait a week but if it is going to be better in the long run i certainly will.

I really hope this is not a sign of things to come with this thing!!!!

Wait the week, it is possible that with running out of fluid the pump may be damaged. Depending on your cost 15% might be just about the price of a new pump unless of course they are giving you the full warranty, then it might not matter.

Is there anyway to tell if the pump has been damaged? There is a one year warranty standard on the splitter.

Agreed w/ Blades - sounds like the pump self destructed, which likely contaminated ALL the other hydraulic components in the system with metal fragments. If that is the case, you would need a new pump, and unless they did a really careful job to clean out the rest of the parts there is a high probability that you will have failures in the other parts followed by more pump issues as the crud from the old pump contaminates the replacement, and so on...

Far better to bring it back and get the new unit - let someone else have the problems at a bargain price... (I'd also offer to assemble the replacement yourself, or at least supervise the guy they have putting it together so that he does it right this time...)

Gooserider

Wait the week. That is exactly the reason I go over every nut and bolt when I get home with something assembled by people at a store. There ain't no master mechanics working there for nine bucks an hour.

I agree, I'd wait the week and get a new unit.

BrotherBart said:
Wait the week. That is exactly the reason I go over every nut and bolt when I get home with something assembled by people at a store. There ain't no master mechanics working there for nine bucks an hour.

i normally do but i guess i got all excited and just wanted to use it. I was going to just assemble it myself but i knew i had no one help me and i did not feel like trying to lift the I-beam and ram myself.

Archer39 said:
i normally do but i guess i got all excited and just wanted to use it. I was going to just assemble it myself but i knew i had no one help me and i did not feel like trying to lift the I-beam and ram myself.

I understand that completely.

just got back from TSC without the splitter. I got there and the manager said it was good to go. They had there tech come in last night to look at it and everything was good. They immediately took it to my truck and hooked it up. i said i wanted to run it before i left. Good thing i did. The pump seized on the first stroke of the ram. :dizzy::dizzy: :angry2: .

I told them i wanted a new one and would drive to there other stores if they had one in stock. So i am now off to pick one up at another store an hour away.

In the end i will end up with a new splitter 15% off, free 5 gallons of hydro fluid and a new filter. Kinda a pain but it should all work out.

thanks everyone for your help.

Check the fluids first and make sure you have them run the new one also before you leave. Maybe take a couple rounds along for the trial run.

Status
Not open for further replies.