Hairy Knuckle Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The trees that are down are pine and close to the house, should I buck up the pine plus split it or take it to the land fill.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0565.jpg
    100_0565.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 394
You guys out East kill me. Flat ground, close to home, and an easy source of combustible material? I would literally fight for that. :cheese:

Beetle-Kill said:
You guys out East kill me. Flat ground, close to home, and an easy source of combustible material? I would literally fight for that. :cheese:

Most people up here won't even burn it, I do have a lady down the road that has been burning pine with hardwood.

zap

That should entertain the woodpeckers for quite a few years left as is.
It becomes nutrient for the forest when it makes it to the ground.

I cut up pine only when I have time for it.
I have about a half cord C/S/S and about a cord maybe a little more in a dump.

I love pine. Easy starts, quick seasoning, light and easy to handle. In fact, I hope to have pine as half my wood supply this year.

Pagey said:
I love pine. Easy starts, quick seasoning, light and easy to handle. In fact, I hope to have pine as half my wood supply this year.

I have to clear that mess up this year so I'll c/s/s some.

zap

Don't make me dig out my All Wood is Good song/poem Zap . . . hell yes . . . buck it up, split it up and burn it . . . use it for shoulder season fires or for kindling or keep it around for cooking your S'mores on in the Summer.

firefighterjake said:
Don't make me dig out my All Wood is Good song/poem Zap . . . hell yes . . . buck it up, split it up and burn it . . . use it for shoulder season fires or for kindling or keep it around for cooking your S'mores on in the Summer.

What poem?

zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:

What poem?

zap

Just remember . . . you asked.

----------

Firefighterjake’s Poem about Wood

Wood Is Good

Here’s a poem about wood, a little ditty,
Before I forget, welcome to hearth.com tickbitty.

All wood is good if it is given time to season,
Here’s my thinking, here’s the reason.

Just like the song “Turn Turn Turn” by the Byrds,
Every species of wood has it’s place, at least according to this Nerd.

Poplar, silver maple, spruce and fir,
In the shoulder seasons will make the woodstove purr.

You will not burn down your home with pine,
Good for kindling or quick, fast fires, to this wood species I raise my stein.

Beech, sugar maple, hickory, locust and oak,
Good for those really cold days, the fire will not die out or soon croak.

And what about the aromatic cedar?
Good for kindling or shoulder seasons—throw it in your heater.

Some folks do not like burning birch—yellow, gray, black or white,
They say it burns up too fast, I say the fire is still hot and burns bright.

Elm they say is too wet and hard to split when fresh cut as it is stringy and burns poorly, I say it gets a bad rap,
Wait a year, when seasoned and elm is burning, in front of the warm stove you’ll soon be taking a nap.

Ash, oh ash, I love this wood the best of all, my favorite wood of all is ash,
But it really should season and then this wood is better than cash.

So to all new burners who wonder and worry about the species of wood,
I say to you, all species of wood is very good.

But heed these words well—you really need to give most wood a year to dry,
If you do not season the wood, the fire will sputter and you will no doubt swear and may cry.

Cut, split and stack your wood for a year,
And then come next Winter in front of the warm fire you will sip your ice-cold beer.

First time I have read that, great poem.

Thanks
Zap

I can't think of any reason that you shouldn't cut up and burn that pine. If the peom says its OK, it must be true.

Cutting it up will make the woods look cleaner but "Not the Dump".
Make great kindling, cook-out fires , quick wood-stove fires to take the chill off on cool fall mornings or bottom of the pile logs to keep
the hardwoods off the ground.
Someone here said their Dad told them: "It' all BTUs".

Wood is Wood as my neighbor Billy says, use it when demand is low and for kindling works great. If nothing else have it around and when you find a fellow a little short on wood give it to him it does no one any good in the landfill.

If just leaving it is not possible and you have to cut it all up anyway, then you may as well c/s/s -it's not that much more work. Although the knots in pine can be a PITA sometimes if hand splitting.

I have christmas trees (the ones no one wanted) that are all dying because the pines have all grown up around them. Thier slow death has made the wood valueless, even for firewood. They disappear quicker when they are on the ground. Luckily most are no more than 30 -35 feet tall so they're not much to walk around.

My stove hasn't spit any thing back out yet.

DO NOT BURN PINE!!!

You will: burn down your house, loose your wife, and your manhood will shrivel!!!

Buck it, split it, and then ship it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly so no one gets hurt.

Similarly, if you own a Toyota--DON'T DRIVE IT!!! It's just a matter of time before it accelerates wildly and kills you.

Best thing would be to fill your Toyota up with the pine, and I'll come pick them up and get rid of them for you!

NP

Pine is ideal for shoulder season burning. Easy to light and likes to burn hot. Makes great kindling too.

Status
Not open for further replies.